CHAPTER TWENTY TWO: Changed Feelings

Wendy's POV

"Mum?" I asked, feeling shocked to see her in school.

"Oh my... Wendy... Your injuries look really bad..." Mum said as she stood up.

"Come, take a seat." Mrs Elaine invited me to the seat beside mum. Edwin was outside the office, waiting.

"I've told your mum everything, about Alina and I gave the Millers a call just now. They should be arriving soon. Alina's mum also knows everything already."

The door to the principal's office suddenly clicked open, my mum and I turned around to see who it was.

"Oh, you're here. Have a seat." Mrs Elaine said as she invited the two guest who have just arrived. Alina Miller and her mum.

"Wendy? The recording." She asked after they sat down. I then took out my phone from my pocket and played the recording.

As it started to play, Alina's eyes widen and looked up at me, my eyes immediately shifted away from hers. I knew she wasn't expecting that I would record whatever she did in the washroom.

When it ended, Alina's face hung low as she admitted what she had done.

"I'm sorry... I admit... Everything that happened in the washroom during lunch was my doing... And..." She trailed off.

"The English textbook... I stole it from her locker and wrote nasty things about her..." She admitted.

"Anything else to admit, Alina?"

"The fabricated test results were also my doing... One of my dad's friends, Teresa also helped me with it..."

"Okay... I'll discuss with the discipline Master for the punishments you deserve and it'll be announced on the notice board by the end of this week." Mrs Elaine said. There was silence in the room as Mrs Elaine recorded notes on her laptop. I glanced up to look at Alina and for the first time, I saw the weak side of her. She was looking at the ground with her head hung low and sad looking eyes. For some reason, I kind of pity her...
_______________________________

When the session was over, Alina and her mum had to stay behind while my mum and I made or way out.

"Oh? Who's this?" mum asked upon seeing Edwin who was outside waiting for me the whole time.

"It's Edwin..."

"Edwin!?" my mum exclaimed and a confused looking face appeared on him.

"Look at how tall you've grown. It's been a long time..." mum said and went over to hug him. At first, I smiled at the scene but as I noticed Edwin looked at me with an expression I couldn't read, my smile immediately faded.

"Mum, let's go..." I said as I pulled her away from him.

"Thanks for today, Edwin. Got to repay you someday, yeah?" I said.

"Yeah, you sure must. I'll make a move first, see you tomorrow." he said and waved before walking away.

"He doesn't know, mum." I said once he was out of sight.

"Huh? You didn't tell him?" I shook my head.

"Why?"

"I just think it's not time yet."

"Okay... If you say so..." my mum said and smirked.

That night, Edwin texted me, asking what was wrong with my mum who suddenly hugged him outside the principal's office.

Hey, Wendy. What's with your mum? Why did she suddenly hug me just now?

I guess she mistook you for someone else...

Really?

Yeah... I guess...

At that moment, I had the urge to tell him the truth, to tell him who I was.

Ermm... Can I tell you something?

Yeah?

You know when you were five?

Yeah? I was five... then?

Nah! It's okay!

Oh...Okay...
__________________________________

For the next few days, everything was quiet till Friday, the day Mrs Eunice announced Alina's punishments. Ever since Monday afternoon, in the principal's office, neither did I see Alina at school nor any rumours or news spreading in the school.

"Jess, Alina's punishments will be announced today right?" I asked her as we waited for classes to start that morning.

"Yup, wanna go checkout the board?"

"Yeah." we made our way to the notice board which was all the way down the hallway, beside the stairs.

When we arrived, there was a huge crowd around the board and whispers could be heard everywhere.

I hereby announce that Alina Miller, from class 2B will be serving 80 hours of community service as punishment for fabricating Official Test Results and two months suspension from school for bullying and assaulting three students in Hearst High school.
Punishment will start as of next week, Wednesday, 25 November 2015.
Hearst High School,
Principal,
Mrs Elaine Andrews

"So... This is the final one?" a voice suddenly came behind me and I jumped in shock. It was Edwin.

"Yeah..." I replied.

"Let's get out of here." I said as I squeezed my way out of the crowd with Edwin following behind.

"Hey, Jessie." Henry suddenly called out. Jessie was actually a new nickname Henry created for Jessica.

"What's up, Hairy." She teased back and giggled at the word.

"I told you stop calling me hairy, am I hairy to you?" He asked playfully as he looked at his arms.

"Maybe?"

"Hey, Wendy." Edwin said, breaking my concentration on the love birds in front of us.

"You still have not repay me for what I've done for you on Monday." He said and rested his chin in my shoulder.

"What are you doing?" I whispered as I tried to shrug of his chin on my shoulder but he used his hands to hold on to my shoulders.

"We're a couple in school, right?" he said in a soft voice which tickled my ear. My face started heating up and my heart felt it could jump out of my rib cage any moment. At that moment, I felt like screaming at the top of my lungs and hugging Edwin tightly but I controlled myself.

"Wait..." he suddenly said and got up from my shoulder and when I thought it was over, his hands came from behind and touched my cheeks. Time suddenly stopped. Things around me seemed like they have stopped moving and all I could hear was my heartbeat gradually increasing as every single second passed.

"Your face is really hot..." he said.

"Erm..." I trailed off.

"Hey, Wendy... Your face is really red. Are you... blushing!?" Jessica suddenly shouted.

"What? No, I'm not. Just...it's...really hot..." Edwin removed his hands and went to the front to take a better look at me.

"Hey... You wanna rest? You look... bad..."

"Hey! Guys! It's late! Classes are almost starting!" Henry said and pulled Jessica along with him to class and both Edwin and I followed them.

What was wrong with me? I've never felt like this before. Even though Edwin always did this, it was the first time it was so serious. What was happening? Is this just infatuation? Or... Love?