Chapter 25

I had always complained and cursed the damn coffee table in the living room that was a little too big for my liking. Whenever I walked past it, it never failed to give me a bruise or a cut on my leg. That thing hated me and I was a hundred percent positive that it was out to get me.

But on that day, as I observed the man sitting opposite me, who was playing with the buttons on the sleeves of his overpriced Italian suit, I wished with all my heart that the bloody coffee table was bigger. I wanted as much distance as possible between us.

I folded my arms and glared at him. He refused to meet my gaze and avoided any form of contact. I exhaled deeply and tried to keep my cool but the annoying ticking sound of the minute hand on the clock wall was really getting on my nerves.

" What?" I asked impatiently, ready to get it over and done with.

Edward looked at me and stammered with fiddling with the buttons on his sleeve, " I came here to apologize to you and your mum. She wants me to leave by tomorrow and I'll do exactly that since she doesn't want me to be here any longer. But I'm really sorry, Mia. I was stupid and foolish and it took me years to realize how much I hurt you. And I know that I can never take it back but I thought that an apology would help." His voice was deep, like how I had always imagined my father's voice would be.

" Ok." I shrugged.

He stared at me, taken aback. " What do you mean 'ok'?" He asked, leaning forward and resting his elbows on his knees. I immediately sat up straight. I didn't want him near me.

" As in, I agree with you. I won't say that I forgive you – it takes time but I'll try. Holding grudges is really dumb." I tried to reason with myself although I was still fuming.

"Mia. Thank you so much." He stood up and pulled me into a bear hug. I felt like I was being suffocated, I didn't like it, not one bit. I freed myself from his grasp and his eyes saddened as realization dawned on him that I would never accept him as my father. " I guess I'll see you around...if you're okay with that." I nodded my head and watched as he drove off.

Had I been too hard on him? I sighed in frustration. At least it was over... It was one of the most awkward and tense conversations ever and I wasn't willing to have another any time soon.

My phone beeped and I looked at the screen – a new message from Javier. "Hey haven't talked to you in a while. Everything okay? Wanna meet up at our café?"

Our café. It was the first time he had texted me since I had broken his heart outside the tattoo shop. I was doubtful if I should just sit that one out or go. Of course I treasured our friendship but getting out of bed and accepting the fact that I was still alive was hard enough. Not to mention how uneasy it would be for the both of us.

Maybe talking about other things would help keep my mind of stuff. Plus, I really needed to get out of the house, even though I dreaded the idea of it.

" Okay. Meet you at five?" I texted him half-heartedly.

When I entered into the café, he waved at me with a smile on his face. The way his eyes lit up with eagerness and convivial made me feel just a tad bit better about myself. He shot me a genuine smile. At least someone was happy to see me.

A gush of cold air rushed into the café as the doors opened and closed. I shivered and out of habit, rubbed my hands together in a poor attempt to keep them warm. " Cold?" Javier asked. I shook my head but he took my hands wrapped his around mine.

I jumped a little. I wasn't expecting that. Javier used to do that all the time when we went on dates but since things have changed, it was completely out of blue. He seemed to have sensed my discomfort but he didn't pull his hand away and continued smiling at me playfully. I loved that smile.