Once Upon a Time

A/N: Thank you for clicking on my story. (TT  ^ TT) I really hope you like it! It would be AWESOME if you could give feedback-- stuff I can approve on, change, or maybe something you liked. I'm sorry if I missed any grammar mistakes, I put this through MSWord a few times and read it, but it's almost 2AM(Happy 4th of July by the way. 'MURICA!) , so I might have ignored/didn't-feel-like-fixing some. I'm sorry I'm lazy. 

comment, comment, comment! 

_____________________________________________________________________________

Little Red

C H A P T E R   O N E 

ONCE UPON A TIME

"Once upon a time there was a little girl who lived in a village near a forest. Everywhere she went, the little girl wore a red riding cloak; earning her the name 'Little Red Riding Hood'." Grandma's voice was soft as she read to me. She sat at the foot of my bed and smiled as she turned the book to face me so I could see the picture of Little Red Riding Hood. She tucked her graying brown hair behind her ear and turned the page. Her face was just showing the signs of aging despite the fact that she turned sixty only a few weeks before. 

Grandma continued, "Little Red Riding Hood's grandmother had fallen ill, so Little Red Riding Hood's mother gave her a basket filled with biscuits and soup to take to her grandmother. 'Be careful in the forest Little Red Riding Hood,' Her mother told her, 'don't talk to strangers and avoid wolves!’ 'Yes, Mother!' Little Red Riding Hood smiled before taking the basket and ran to the forest. 

"Little Red Riding Hood came to a stop when she reached a fork in the path. 'Oh my, oh dear, which path should I take? The left or the right? Which will take me to Grandmother's house faster?' in the forest a wolf watched her with a hungry look," Grandma took a dramatic pause; I felt my entire body stiffen with anticipation. With her deep-set blue eyes twinkling, grandma continued. "'Little girl, little girl, I know the way. Take a step to your left to go the fastest route to your grandmother's house.' the wolf lied through his teeth. His eyes focused on the girl as he spoke with his dark voice.

 "Little Red Riding Hood believed the wolf, so she took the road to the left. Then with a dark laugh, the wolf bounded down the right path, the faster path, to Little Red Riding Hood's grandmother's house. Once there, the wolf gobbled the grandmother up and took her place in bed.

"Little Red got to the house a little after the wolf and let herself in. Going to her grandmother's side she said: 'Grandmother, what big eyes you have!' the wolf snickered, 'All the better to see you with, my child.' Little Red Riding Hood replied, 'What big ears you have!' the wolf shuffled in the bed, 'All the better to hear you with, my child.' Little Red Riding Hood was suspicious, 'what big... teeth you have.' the wolf's eyes narrowed and replied, 'All the better to eat you with, my meal!' 

"With that, the wolf jumped up and ate Little Red Riding Hood whole. But outside, a huntsman who had started to track the wolf heard the commotion and broke through the door. He took his axe and cut Little Red Riding Hood and her grandmother from the wolf's belly. Little Red Riding Hood had learned her lesson that day: Never trust a wolf!" Grandma showed me the final picture and then closed the book. 

I crossed my arms over my small chest and frowned. My grandma raised one brow and looked at me questioningly, "The wolf is always the bad guy! In 'Little Red Riding Hood', 'the Three Little Pigs' and 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf'! But wolves aren't bad Grandma! They're kind and loyal and beautiful. Your pictures prove that."

Grandma laughed, "I do believe you are correct, my little child." With that grandma stood and turned off the light before kissing my six year old forehead. "Sleep tight, little child."