Joshua

IMPORTANT AUTHORS NOTE AT THE END. PLEASE DO NOT SKIP IT.

C H A P T E R   E I G H T

J O S H U A

Joshua's POV

                "Joshua." 

                I turned around to see my father, Trevor, leaning against the dining room table. It was dark; the only source of light was coming from the moon slithering through the window—it gave everything a silver shine. My dad looked relaxed, but I knew he was anything but. I could see it in his eyes: confusion, worry… but most of all anger.

                Ever since before Dad married Amber’s mom, he had treated Amber like his own daughter. He loved her like a daughter. I knew the fact she was dating a werewolf was tearing him up inside. He was the one who took her to her “Daddy-Daughter Dance” and danced with her in a gymnasium full of crazy third grade girls and their over-protective fathers.  He took her out dress shopping even though it was just for a lousy 7th Grade dance. He gave boys that were eyeing her, the “touch my daughter and I’ll run over your non-existent balls with my truck”-look.

Long story short; he loved and protected her as her father would if he were there.

                My dad clasped his hands in front of him and sighed; he seemed like he was debating something. “Joshua, there’s a chance he might not be a werewolf,” he spat the word like it was laced with cobra venom, “there are humans who actually have allergic reactions when touched or around silver.”

                It seems that he’s trying to convince himself more than me, I thought dryly.

                I waited a moment to allow him to think for a second; he needed to clear his thoughts. “Dad, I know it’s hard to accept, but I know he’s one of them. Did you see how he reacted when I told him to call me ‘alpha’? I wouldn’t be surprised if he were at least third in command! Plus, he was huge!” I let out an exasperated breath.

                “Josh maybe you’re just seeing things—“ my father began.

                I cut him off. He was not going to imply, again, that stupid thought. “Dad I don’t love her—“

                “Don’t you dare pull that bull crap with me, Joshua Alexander Jones!” His voiced was a booming whisper; he didn’t want to wake up Amber nor her mother. They weren’t huntswomen after all. “I know you love her more than a sister, even though you were raised as siblings!”

I didn’t reply. I knew better than to argue with my father when I saw that fire behind his forest green eyes.

                “Listen here, and listen well, Joshua” He began, his eyes were focused on me. God. My father was scary when he was angry. But I guess that was why they called him one of the best huntsmen in the United States. He left no survivors when he was on the hunt. He had seen hell and killed more of those monsters than me and a few buddies combined. He was a force to be reckoned with.

But I was making a name for myself too; I was slowly but steadily making my way up there in kills.

                “Before we jump to conclusions that Alexander is a wolf we need solid evidence, Joshua.”

                I stared at him blankly, waiting for him to explain. “What if he were one of the rare humans who have an allergy to silver? Would you be able to live with yourself knowing you killed your sister’s boyfriend just because you jumped to conclusions and was jealous of him?”