03.

At dawn, I wake up to the little streaks of sunlight peering through my curtain. I can hear the sound of my fathers' lawnmower outside, thrashing everything in its' range.

I tilt my head towards my desk to see the time.

7am.

I lift my cellphone to check my messages. 1 text message from Nuha.

"Asa'laamu'alaykum ukhti. I know that by the time you get this, you'd probably just awoken, but I couldn't contain my excitement any further!
I have told my grandmother about your situation and your dream of becoming a Niqaabi. She wants to meet you and, hopefully, help you. This is great news, right?!
Hurry over as soon as you get this! We going shopping!
Later x"

I smile for the next 30 seconds of my life and then, get up.

After taking out my favourite pair of sandals and my outfit for the day, I advance to the kitchen.

"Asa'laamu'alykum Maryam."

"Wa'alaykum'salaam Ma"

My mother smiles and asks, "Going anywhere today?"

I take out a bowl from the top shelf of the cupboard and place it on the counter.

"Yes Ma, I am going to visit Nuha. Her relatives from the Middle-East are here, remember? I'll be joining them for some retail therapy."

My mother looks through the window. Watching my father, she laughs, "That's a thing?"

"Yes Ma, it is. I'll be back before 2pm, In Shaa Allah."

After scooping Cheerios into my bowl, I walk towards the fridge for some milk.

"Why is Abee all out and about today, Ma?" I ask.

She turns to face me and laughs, "I don't know."

Holding the carton of milk and unscrewing its' head, I pour a reasonable amount into the bowl and return the carton to the fridge.

My mother looks at me and says, "I spoke to your father. About the veil..."

I sit down at the table and listen attentively. I need to know what he said. I need to get his reasoning for rejecting.

I ask, "And? Ma, what did Abee say?"

My mother turns to face the window and gives out a little sigh.

"He wants to approve, but he is afraid that it might lead you to marriage and he is too scared you'll get married at the wrong time."

I stopped chewing the moment I heard the word " marriage " and looked at my reflection in the spoon.

"Ma, that's ridiculous! I'm only 17. I'll never get married this young." I look over at my mother. She still faces the window overlooking the freshly cut grass.

"I know. See, you are our only child and we love you very much," she turns to face me and smiles, "we don't want you to leave our home. We want to keep you here as long as possible."

I smile and continue eating my cereal.

"I know you are very determined to wear it and no one can stop you. You'll wear it against all odds, doesn't matter what you go through, but I know having our blessing will make a little easier."

I nod and she comes closer to me. She sits down next to me and says, " You already have my blessing" and smiles.

I feel a wave of confidence and security embrace me. I know that my mother has always had my back, but it just feels much better when she tells me she has my back. It's better than assuming.

I drop my spoon and hug her.

I am getting there. Slowly, but surely, In Shaa Allah.

I let go of my mother and she gets up. She walks over to the sink and gazes out of the window, once again.

I finish up the last of my cereal, get up and place the bowl in the sink. Before walking away, I join my mother. We watch my father and laugh.

"Ma, I am getting ready if Ma needs me."

I turn around and walk towards my bedroom.

Looking at my outfit; a black skirt, belt , brown scarf and a white sweater; I feel like it's missing something.

I look around.

I should get ready first.

I bath and get dressed. Staring at my reflection in the mirror, I remember. My denim jacket, I got for my birthday, will complete my outfit.

I unhook my jacket from behind the door and put it on.

Yeah. Looks much better.

I walk towards the front door.

"Are you leaving?" asks my mother.

"Yes, Ma." She fixes my jacket and tells me to greet my father before I leave. She opens the door and kisses me on the cheek.

"Asa'laamu'alaykum Abee!" I shout above the noise. "Abee, I'll be back in a few hours. See, Abee later!"

He looks up and waves goodbye.

I get on my motorcycle and leave the driveway.