08.

"Ready?" Nuha looks at me smiling.

"Yes" I say and feel a wave of nervousness rush through my body and I can feel my cheeks heating up a little.

Nuha presses on the 'call' button underneath Mama's number.

I bite my bottom lip.

Tring tring ...

Nuha looks at me and raises her eyebrows.

I don't know what's taking Mama so long to answer her cellphone and I'm starting to sweat.

After a few minutes of calling non-stop, Nuha drops her cellphone on my bed and sighs.

"Don't you think it'll just be better if we go over to my place and just..speak to Mama?"

"I think it would be best but, I feel like a pest, you know?" I say scratching the new pillow covers my mother made.

"I feel like she has so many things to do that she probably forgot all about me and my little dilemma." I shift my gaze and look towards the window.

I feel like I should just give up but, I can't help but wonder if this is one of the first of my difficulties. If it is, I'm satisfied with it.

"No Maryam, NO. You are NOT giving up THIS fast. Get up, get up!" Nuha gets up from my bed and pushes me off.

"Nuha, what are you d-"
"NO, be quiet and put on your jacket, we're going over to Mama."

Nuha hands me my jacket and bag and shoves me out of my room, leads me straight downstairs and out of the house.

"You canNOT be giving up right now, Maryam. This is just the beginning..."