13.

Passing through the kitchen, I pick up the tray my mother had placed biscuits on and take it to the living room. I place it on the coffee table and sit next to Nuha.

"Are you okay?" she whispers into my ear. Unable to speak, I nod and start to burn holes into the empty seat opposite Mama.

Abee.

Mama and my mother started chatting on about some china they both had been looking for and some other stuff while we waited for my Abee to come home.

I could feel the hair at the back of my neck stick up as I heard the sound of my fathers' old toyota. My mother stopped speaking and I could tell that she was scared. Her body stiffend up a little bit and her grip became tighter around the teacup.

My heart started to thump nervously as the key turned into the front door and a lump had formed in my throat. Nuha squeezed my hand slightly and before I could return her supportive gesture, in walks my father.

"I didn't know we were having guests over tonight.." he stands with his bag still slung over his right shoulder in the doorway.

"Assalaamu'alaykum. Laa, these are Maryams' guests." My mother looks at me and then, gives out a little uneasy giggle.

"Yes, Abee. This is Nuhas' grandmother, Mama. She's from the Middle-East." I say pointing slightly towards Mama.

Mama greets and shifts on the couch. Abee hesitates to return the greeting but, does so.

Abee walks over to the table and takes a biscuit from the plate on the tray and turns to leave the room.

Knowing that he needs to be present for the discussion, I stop him.

"Abee, Mama has come over to speak to Abee." I can feel my cheeks heating up a little but, I will not let this conversation prolong any further. It has to be tonight. It just has to.

He turns around and takes his bag from his shoulder. "Me? Maryam, can I see you in the kitchen. Now." He turns and leads the way to the kitchen. I sense the urgency in his words and get up.

My legs felt foreign carrying me but, I managed to get it moving.

"Abee..?" I say half question, half statement.

Abee takes two huge steps towards me and looks me straight into my eyes. I cannot avoid anything that he has instore for me right now.

"What is this about!?" he whispers, gritting his teeth. "Maryam! What is going on?!"

"Abee, uhm..." I cannot exactly explain everything in 0.5 seconds because I need to gather my thoughts. I haven't prepared anything till this point and I can feel my father getting agitated with me.

He leans in closer and lifts my chin with his thumb.

"Tell me now." I lift my chin off from his thumb and take a deep breath in. "You know I am not used to this kind of situations. I do not know this... Mama lady and I don't know what she has come to talk about. What is it!?"

"Abee.." I begin. My mouth feels dry and tasteless. "Mama is here to help me with my dilemma. The niqaab situation, Abee." I immediatly look down and start to eye the rows of tiles in the floor.

"Maryam, we spoke about this!" Abee lifts his fist and I tell he's going to bang it on my the kitchen table but, somethung stops him. He sighs, "I don't know what you do not understand by 'no'. You know how I feel about it. I am scared for your part. I don't necessarily know much about it but, I am willing to learn."

"..willing to learn" ?!

I don't understand. Just a few month ago, Abee refused to understand and now he is willing to ?

Alhamdulilah.

"I just still think that you are too young, taking this big step in your life and all."

I look at Abee in awe. Did my father just, indirectly, approve of my decision?! I smiled at the thought and then, dismissed it. Knowing that he still hasn't actually approved, I try again.

"Yes, I understand. I have asked Mama to help me with it a few months ago and she agreed to come over and just answer all the questions that Abee and Ummi has that I cannot answer yet. Anything."

Abee looks tensed.

"It'll be okay. Not everyone is taught a lot on this topic and I'm sure Mama will broaden Abees' views on it."

Abee pauses in thought and then, says, "Okay, I'll listen to what she has to say first and then, make a decision."

I, mentally, pat myself on the back and smile.

Everything is coming together.