The Promise

Kenji had an unexplainable feelings.He knew he just met Hikaru, but then he almost told her all about his life and even about some things that he rarely spoken to others.Like he really wanted to be a professional photographer and to travel the world someday.

"Well, uhmm..It's getting dark.I guess,i have to walk you home.." Kenji uttered.

Hikaru wrote: "i think i'd bothered you so much.Watashi wa genki desu kara, goshinpai naku." (I'll be fine..Don't worry.)

"Iie...(no) Im happy being with you." he paused,those words just came out from his mouth. "uhmm...I can't let a pretty lady like you to walk alone in that dark street...So i insist." he quickly added.

Hikaru blushed.Then she took a few steps and turned to Kenji,and gestured to follow her.

Kenji followed and walked beside her.

She wrote: "Uchi wa asoko desu." (my house is over there) Then she pointed a small house at the end of the dark road.

When they reached the house, Hikaru grabbed Kenji's right arm, trying to convince him to go inside.

Kenji just can't say no to Hikaru so he go inside the house. When they got inside,Hikaru immediately went to her grandmother's room,Kenji followed her.

Her grandmother was lying on her bed.. "Hikaru?.." her grandmother uttered in a very weak tone.

Hikaru walked slowly to her grandmother,then she kissed her grandmother on the forehead.Kenji is just standing right next to the door's room.

"Korera no shounen wa dare desu ka?.." (who is that young man?) her grandmother asked.

Kenji walked towards them and introduced his self. "Konbanwa!!..(good evening)" he greeted. "Watashi no namae wa Kenji desu.Hikaru wa boku no tomodachi desu." (My name is Kenji.I'm Hikaru's friend.)

"tomodachi?" (friend) she repeated then turned to Hikaru.Hikaru just nodded and smiled. "Oaidekite ureshii desu, Kenji." grandmother said. (Im pleased to meet you Kenji.) Kenji just bowed his head.

Hikaru brought out her notebook and wrote: "Sumimasen (excuse me) ,i'll just cook some dinner."

"alright.." Kenji uttered. When Hikaru went out to the room,her grandmother started a little talk with Kenji.

"you're the first friend of Hikaru who came here in our small house." grandmother said in a low tone, Kenji just listened. "i never seen my granddaughter this happy." she paused. "Shu wa subarashii." (God is so good) He answer my prayers."

Kenji is really confused about what grandma had said.

"Domo arigatou,Kenji..Domo." (thank you so much Kenji,thank you.) grandmother said in a very weak voice.

"Sumimasen desu ga kore wa

wakarimasen..,obaa-san." (im sorry,but i cant understand..,obaa-san.) he said in a calm voice,confused. "I know i will no longer live in this world.But I keep fighting with my illness because i am too afraid to leave my precious Hikaru alone.But now, knowing that you're here, i can finally take a peaceful rest."

"ohhh...Obaa-san,please dont say things like that..Hikaru needs you..She loves you alot...We'll take care of you until you get well again.."

Grandma shook her head. "i know it's too much, but Kenji..,Im entrusting you my precious Hikaru,please take care of her...Please, promise me..." grandma begged.

Kenji was confused,he didn't know what to say or do.But looking at the poor old woman,melted his heart.

He held grandma's hand. "i promise,obaa-san..I promise..." he uttered sincerely.