Home, Sweet Home?

Angel

‎"Who ever thought going home would be so nerve racking?" I questioned myself as I walked up the old cobblestone walkway to the hose. It was just as I remembered. The two story house still had perfect cream siding. It was still surrounded by beautiful green plants; although now the garden looked wild, as if it had been a while since it had been properly tended. That only made the outside more breathtaking by creating almost a forgotten beauty feel. With each step my thoughts had become troublesome. I never really had a normal home or family, but I was pretty sure what I had done was the cause of discernment in many families. The thought made me nervous, but I still had to try. I inserted the key into the lock and walked back into my life.

It almost looked exactly the same. The rooms still had dark wood paneling and light shaggy carpeting. Mrs. Hurling had covered the wood flooring the year James had turned eight hoping that the bright colors would make him feel better. Family photos still covered the walls and the fireplace mantel. My favorite one was resting in the center of the mantel, though it had once been kept safe in the China cabinet. It was Mr. and Mrs. Hurling's wedding photo. They looked like such a breathtaking couple; not only because of their looks, but because of how they looked. It was clear by their expressions that they loved each other. That was what made it my favorite. Even as time passed in every photo they looked just as in love as they did in that first one.

Sitting next to this photo was another one of my favorites it was a picture of all of them at James' fifth birthday party. I loved looking at their happy faces. It was clear this is what people meant when they were talking about the perfect family. These were the people that you thought would wake up with smiles on their faces. It was looking at the photos that always made it hard for me to believe I had ever been apart of this family. Then again none of these pictures had me in them. Every photo that had been taken during my time here was missing.

"‏Well I guess some things have changed." I said out loud mentally scolding myself for believing that things would be the same. "I better get started on dinner, because if there is anyway back in here it is through my cooking." I smiled slightly because I knew some things would never change.

I had just put the finishing touches on both the bread and the sauce when I heard the front door open. It was great timing. In ten minutes the food would be done and that was all the time I'd need to convince James to let me have my old room back.

‎ "‏Wow, something smells good! Hey James, were you cooking before you came to pick me up?" questioned a melodic female voice.

"‏Please Hope, you and I both know he can't cook to save his life. How he survived before I moved in is a mystery." A male voice joked laughing. Well, that was a development. I had no problem moving in with James, but I wasn't sure how his roommates would feel.

"‏Hey I can cook!" James protested offended.

‎ "‏Dude, Ramon and toast don't count" The other guy answered still laughing. The female voice joined in giggling.

‎ "‏So I take it you were cooking then Mark since I'm apparently incapable of doing so." I could just see him folding his arms in my mind.

‎ "‏Nope," answered Mark. "Wait, if none of us cooked who's here?" 'Well I guess it's time to face the music I thought. I put on my best smile and walked out into the hall.

"‏So um dinners going to take a few more minutes." I said in what I hope was a carefree friendly voice. It didn't matter that I sounded friendly though because as soon as I walked out everyone froze. They stared at me in shock, so I decided to take advantage of the moment to get a good look at my potential housemates. My eyes were immediately drawn to the girl. My first thought was she was merely pretty, but the longer I looked the more apparent it was that she was gorgeous, or she would be if her mouth wasn't hanging open frozen mid-sentence and her face didn't look like she had just been hit over the head with a cartoon anvil. Hope was tall with platinum blonde hair and ivory skin that had a faint tan which gave her a healthy glow. She reminded me of a Greek goddess at least the portrayals I'd seen of them, maybe Aphrodite.