Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Differences

Angel

A week had passed since I had decided to take care of the pup who had now been christened Evan. It was definitely harder to take care of a toddler then it was to take care of six year old Kelly, but then again she could talk, was potty trained, and didn’t have a tail. The tail part was the hardest. There weren’t any diaper brands that had extra holes in case the baby didn’t want to squish their tail. The first few days had been difficult, but then Rose had suggested I switch clothe ones, so I wouldn’t have to keep cutting holes for his tail.

Outside of the tail problem he still managed to give me the same amount of hell has the three humans put together. Evan was prone to throwing tantrums whenever he wasn’t allowed to do something, and everyone seemed to solve this problem by handing him off to me. No matter what I was doing if he started to fuss someone would come get me. I couldn’t wait for this wedding to be done with. It was a nightmare to try to plan a wedding while taking care off a toddler and humans. Not that the supernatural children never caused problems, but at least I didn’t have to worry about them ticking off a moody vampire or his associates. All supernatural even children naturally followed their instincts; instincts that told them how far they could push a person. Humans didn’t have those instincts and if they did they didn’t seem to listen to them.

For example Kyle and Kevin decide it would be amusing to take the shifters meat and switch it with tofu. Then they did the same thing to the nymphs tofu and fruit by switching them with meat cooked and designed as something else. It was both genius and stupid. Genius because they actually managed to do it without anyone noticing. Dangerous because you don’t touch a shifter or a were’s meat. That was the unspoken understood rule that all supernatural knew; I had taken it for granted and hadn’t explained it the children. Thankfully Rissa had been able to track me down before a werewolf tore off Kyle’s head.

“Knock, knock,” I turned around to see Rajak at my office door with none other than Evan in his arms.

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” I sighed when the toddler started reaching for me. “How am I supposed to get any work done if everyone brings him to whenever so much as whimpers?”

“Hey you wanted the pup. I’m fine with just dropping him off at a pound.” Rajak replied placing the toddler on the floor.

“Not happening. I just need to survive this wedding and then things with get simpler.” I hope.

“Yeah, because kids get easier with age. You realize that you’ll be married with four kids at the age of eighteen while still trying to maintain a company. This is the dumbest stunt you’ve ever pulled. You can’t save everyone.” He lectured.

“I know,” I replied ignoring the tug on my legs and returning to behind my desk.

“Then why do you still try? I heard what happened with the humans. You’re lucky none of them died. This isn’t a world for them to live in; it isn’t safe.” He was now standing behind me. “What if you would have arrived a second later?”

“I know how dangerous it is. I already had this conversation with Rose and Eva. Ying is going to put blocks on them after the wedding. I already have a family picked out for them to go to.” I sighed dropping my head in my hand. “How in the world am I supposed to keep them intact until the summer equinox? Do you realize how many more temperamental supernaturals are going to stay here before wedding? Eva was right I should never have let them stay, but I couldn’t abandon them after all the trouble Heather had caused at their foster home.”

“Don’t worry too much helps coming.” Rajak promised kissing my temple. “I sent Driskil to a meeting with Frank, so he can act has Alex’s guardian. Your brothers should be back in a week. So just in time for Phoenix’s party.”