Chapter 4: Place

Chapter‭ ‬4

Place

‎“‏Wow‭ ‬you're‭ ‬up‭ ‬early‭?” ‬Rose‭ ‬commented‭ ‬taking‭ ‬a‭ ‬seat‭ ‬at‭ ‬the‭ ‬counter,‭ ‬and‭ ‬watching‭ ‬me‭ ‬cook‭ ‬a‭ ‬five‭ ‬star‭ ‬breakfast.‭ ‬So‭ ‬far‭ ‬I‭ ‬had‭ ‬made‭ ‬bacon,‭ ‬tofu,‭ ‬scrambled‭ ‬eggs,‭ ‬and‭ ‬now‭ ‬I‭ ‬was‭ ‬trying‭ ‬my‭ ‬hand‭ ‬at‭ ‬potato‭ ‬pancakes.

‎“‏I'm‭ ‬always‭ ‬up‭ ‬early.‭” ‬I‭ ‬reminded‭ ‬her‭ ‬with‭ ‬a‭ ‬rueful‭ ‬smile.‭ ‬It‭ ‬was‭ ‬true‭ ‬whether‭ ‬I‭ ‬was‭ ‬here‭ ‬or‭ ‬on‭ ‬the‭ ‬run‭ ‬I‭ ‬always‭ ‬seemed‭ ‬to‭ ‬rise‭ ‬with‭ ‬the‭ ‬sun.‭ ‬It‭ ‬was‭ ‬also‭ ‬true‭ ‬that‭ ‬I‭ ‬was‭ ‬more‭ ‬anxious‭ ‬than‭ ‬normal.‭  ‬After‭ ‬Dean‭ ‬left‭ ‬I‭ ‬had‭ ‬lied‭ ‬awake‭ ‬for‭ ‬hours‭ ‬waiting‭ ‬for‭ ‬Rasheal‭ ‬to‭ ‬come.‭ ‬In‭ ‬moments‭ ‬like‭ ‬that‭ ‬she‭ ‬was‭ ‬the‭ ‬only‭ ‬one‭ ‬who‭ ‬could‭ ‬calm‭ ‬me‭ ‬enough‭ ‬to‭ ‬sleep.‭ ‬Eventually‭ ‬I‭ ‬had‭ ‬cried‭ ‬so‭ ‬much‭ ‬that‭ ‬my‭ ‬body‭ ‬was‭ ‬too‭ ‬worn‭ ‬out‭ ‬to‭ ‬stay‭ ‬awake‭ ‬want‭ ‬to.

‎“‏Angel,‭ ‬you‭’‬re‭ ‬lying‭. ‬You‭ ‬want‭ ‬to‭ ‬know‭ ‬how‭ ‬I‭ ‬know‭?” ‬Rose‭ ‬asked‭ ‬me‭ ‬with‭ ‬a‭ ‬smug‭ ‬look‭ ‬on‭ ‬her‭ ‬face.‭ “‬You‭ ‬didn't‭ ‬put‭ ‬away‭ ‬the‭ ‬ingredients‭ ‬to‭ ‬your‭ ‬calming‭ ‬tea.‭” ‬I‭ ‬followed‭ ‬her‭ ‬gave‭ ‬to‭ ‬the‭ ‬mixture‭ ‬of‭ ‬chamomile,‭ ‬mint,‭ ‬honey‭  ‬that‭ ‬lay‭ ‬on‭ ‬the‭ ‬counter.‭ ‬I‭ ‬had‭ ‬even‭ ‬left‭ ‬out‭ ‬the‭ ‬cinnamon‭ ‬and‭ ‬allspice‭ ‬jars.

‎“‏Wow‭ ‬I‭ ‬guess‭ ‬you're‭ ‬right.‭ ‬Well‭ ‬in‭ ‬that‭ ‬case‭ ‬would‭ ‬you‭ ‬like‭ ‬some‭ ‬tea‭?”

“That‎ ‏depends‭ ‬on‭ ‬how‭ ‬strong‭ ‬it‭ ‬is.‭ ‬What‭ ‬upset‭ ‬you‭ ‬last‭ ‬night‭?”

“Dean‎ ‏stopped‭ ‬by.‭” ‬I‭ ‬knew‭ ‬I‭ ‬wouldn't‭ ‬have‭ ‬to‭ ‬explain‭ ‬any‭ ‬more‭ ‬than‭ ‬that.‭ ‬Out‭ ‬of‭ ‬all‭ ‬the‭ ‬people‭ ‬here‭ ‬Rose‭ ‬would‭ ‬understand.‭ ‬Before‭ ‬I‭ ‬had‭ ‬come‭ ‬she‭ ‬had‭ ‬been‭ ‬on‭ ‬the‭ ‬receiving‭ ‬end‭ ‬of‭ ‬a‭ ‬lot‭ ‬foul‭ ‬moods.‭ ‬I‭ ‬had‭ ‬found‭ ‬her‭ ‬in‭ ‬a‭ ‬Fey‭ ‬club‭ ‬that‭ ‬Dean‭ ‬owned.‭ ‬She‭ ‬was‭ ‬only‭ ‬a‭ ‬year‭ ‬older‭ ‬than‭ ‬me,‭ ‬so‭ ‬I‭ ‬argued‭ ‬with‭ ‬him‭ ‬until‭ ‬he‭ ‬let‭ ‬her‭ ‬switch‭ ‬over‭  ‬to‭ ‬the‭ ‬catering‭ ‬business‭ ‬I‭ ‬was‭ ‬trying‭ ‬to‭ ‬start.

‎“‏Please,‭ ‬I‭ ‬know‭ ‬I‭ ‬can‭ ‬get‭ ‬this‭ ‬to‭ ‬work.‭” ‬I‭ ‬asked‭ ‬him‭ ‬again‭ ‬staring‭ ‬into‭ ‬his‭ ‬dark‭ ‬eyes‭ ‬hopefully.‭ ‬We'd‭ ‬had‭ ‬this‭ ‬conversation‭ ‬several‭ ‬times‭ ‬already,‭ ‬but‭ ‬I‭ ‬wasn‭’‬t‭ ‬giving‭ ‬up.‭

“No,‎ ‏Angel‭ ‬don’t want‭ ‬to‭ ‬have‭ ‬this‭ ‬conversation‭ ‬again.‭” ‬He‭ ‬said‭ ‬warily‭ ‬playing‭ ‬with‭ ‬my‭ ‬caramel‭ ‬brown‭ ‬hair.

‎“‏I‭ ‬don't‭ ‬understand‭ ‬why‭~”

“I‎ ‏said‭ ‬no‭!” ‬Rajak‭ ‬snapped‭ ‬his‭ ‬grip‭ ‬changing‭ ‬on‭ ‬my‭ ‬hair‭ ‬from‭ ‬a‭ ‬soft‭ ‬touch‭ ‬to‭ ‬painful‭ ‬twisting‭ ‬grip.‭ ‬I‭ ‬stared‭ ‬up‭ ‬at‭ ‬him‭ ‬in‭ ‬surprise.‭ ‬His‭ ‬eyes‭ ‬looked‭ ‬as‭ ‬cold‭ ‬and‭ ‬hard‭ ‬as‭ ‬the‭ ‬onyx‭ ‬pendant‭ ‬he‭ ‬had‭ ‬given‭ ‬me‭ ‬earlier‭ ‬as‭ ‬a‭ ‬present.‭ ‬Why‭ ‬was‭ ‬he‭ ‬doing‭ ‬this‭? ‬He‭ ‬never‭ ‬acted‭ ‬like‭ ‬this‭ ‬before.‭ ‬The‭ ‬fact‭ ‬was‭ ‬I‭ ‬had‭ ‬never‭ ‬seen‭ ‬him‭ ‬lose‭ ‬his‭ ‬temper‭ ‬before,‭ ‬and‭ ‬it‭ ‬was‭ ‬scaring‭ ‬me.‭ ‬He‭ ‬was‭ ‬reminding‭ ‬me‭ ‬of‭ ‬the‭ ‬man‭ ‬my‭ ‬mother‭ ‬had‭ ‬married‭ ‬after‭ ‬my‭ ‬dad‭ ‬died.‭ ‬I‭ ‬had‭ ‬always‭ ‬said‭ ‬I‭ ‬would not‭ ‬become‭ ‬like‭ ‬her‭ ‬yet‭ ‬here‭ ‬I‭ ‬was‭ ‬in‭ ‬the‭ ‬exact‭ ‬same‭ ‬position.‭