Chapter 9: In the Shadows

Chapter 9

In the Shadows

“Congratulations little sister,” She repeated her voice sweeter than a poisoned apple.

“Thanks Heather, you look lovely tonight.” I told her. It was true despite how ugly she was on the inside the outside never showed it in Heather’s case. Her long dark hair was twist into elegant bun encircled by rubies with two long tendrils left to soften her chiseled features. Her dress was the same crimson of the gems in her hair. It was obvious to me that Anna had not help her choose this outfit, because it was as from her taste as Heather and I were in personalities. It was a floor-length velvet gown that clung to her hourglass frame like a second skin. I knew that when it came down to looks Heather had me beat. She looked every part the princess. I noticed something though as I took in my sister appearance.

“I love your necklace. Where did you get it?”I asked coolly. I saw her hand twitch as if she wanted to cover it. Instead she raised her chin slightly .

“It was a present from Rajak. Don’t you think it suits me?” She inquired condescendingly.

“I’d say it compliments your personality wonderfully.” I replied my tone still amiable. The necklace was indeed beautiful a blood stone inlaid into an onyx gem on a short gold chain. It was the black gem that gave away who the sender had been. It was the same stone on the choker he had given me. At this moment I was extremely glad I had not listened to Anna’s suggestion about wearing the necklace. Only her and Lark had known I was going make the announcement tonight about our engagement. She thought that it would be good to give Rajak a little hope. Tonight though if anyone had seen the two necklaces together the rumors would have been fact. As it was the only person who had seen me wear that necklace was Nate. “By any chance is that stone onyx?”

“No obsidian,” She gave me a curious look then realization dawned in her eyes narrowed. “Yours is onyx? Figures the gems of strength; only I got a cheap knock-off. I guess that what I get though for being the wrong daughter.”

“You have no idea how much I wish we could switch places.” I sighed. “Heather do you love him?”

“Maybe, maybe not.” She shrugged still managing to make the movement look graceful and refined.

“It’s not a maybe answer. Not in this family; the emotions are always running too high for things like that. So answer the question.”

“What happens if I say yes?

“What happens if you say no?” I retorted. I wanted an answer not  game.

“Fine to answer your question no.” Heather huffed like I had just spoiled her favorite game. “I don’t love him. He’s fun to mess around with, and handy to have on your sides, but I don’t love him. I’m your sister despite everything, so I do know what love should look like.”

“I’ll send him your way sis if I meet him.” I promised glad she wasn’t really in love with Rajak.“I am happy you don’t actually love him.”

“Oh don't get me wrong I love him, just not in that way. I admire our similarities so it’s really just narcissism. I’m not giving him up just yet though. I’m having way too much fun.” She picked up her drink and mocked toasting me before she walked away. I had known better than to think she would give up her love affair just for the sake of my pride. Heather didn’t do anything to please other, especially if it meant doing something that she did really want to do. If I was lucky she would get bored of him before our wedding. If not it would be just another case of royal secrets. “Tell Luke  I think it’s time we go home.” I told the shadows where I knew he had would be standing. My silent shadow always present even if he went unseen.