Chapter 2: The Dinner

Chapter‭ ‬2

The‭ ‬Dinner

Angel

‎‘‏Well‭ ‬this‭ ‬is‭ ‬awkward.‭ ‬This‭ ‬might‭ ‬have‭ ‬gone‭ ‬better‭ ‬if‭ ‬I‭ ‬did‭ ‬just‭ ‬showed‭ ‬up‭ ‬when‭ ‬everyone‭ ‬was‭ ‬asleep‭ ‬or‭ ‬if‭ ‬I'd‭ ‬have‭ ‬turned‭ ‬up‭ ‬right‭ ‬before‭ ‬they‭ ‬left‭ ‬in‭ ‬the‭ ‬morning.‭’ ‬I‭ ‬thought‭ ‬wryly.‭ ‬As‭ ‬soon‭ ‬as‭ ‬I‭’‬d‭ ‬put‭ ‬the‭ ‬spaghetti‭ ‬down‭ ‬James‭ ‬started‭ ‬eating‭ ‬like‭ ‬there‭ ‬was‭ ‬no‭ ‬tomorrow.‭ ‬By‭ ‬the‭ ‬look‭ ‬on‭ ‬Hope‭’‬s‭ ‬face‭ ‬when‭ ‬she'd‭ ‬entered‭ ‬the‭ ‬room‭ ‬that‭ ‬might‭ ‬just‭ ‬be‭ ‬the‭ ‬case‭ ‬for‭ ‬him.‭ ‬Hope‭ ‬had‭ ‬only‭ ‬played‭ ‬with‭ ‬her‭ ‬food‭ ‬in‭ ‬the‭ ‬beginning,‭ ‬but‭ ‬after‭ ‬she‭ ‬tasted‭ ‬it‭ ‬she‭’‬d‭ ‬actually‭ ‬started‭ ‬to‭ ‬eat‭ ‬in‭ ‬a‭ ‬grudging‭ ‬way.‭ ‬The‭ ‬fact‭ ‬that‭ ‬I‭ ‬could‭ ‬cook‭ ‬though‭ ‬seemed‭ ‬to‭ ‬make‭ ‬her‭ ‬even‭ ‬angrier.‭ ‬Mark‭ ‬was‭ ‬wolfing‭ ‬down‭ ‬his‭ ‬food‭ ‬too,‭ ‬but‭ ‬by‭ ‬the‭ ‬way‭ ‬he‭ ‬had‭ ‬expertly‭ ‬paced‭ ‬himself‭ ‬that‭ ‬seemed‭ ‬to‭ ‬be‭ ‬normal‭ ‬for‭ ‬him.

‎“‏Okay‭ ‬well‭ ‬this‭ ‬is‭ ‬pleasant.‭” ‬I‭ ‬said‭ ‬breaking‭ ‬the‭ ‬silence‭ ‬with‭ ‬a‭ ‬bleak‭ ‬smile.‭ ‬That‭ ‬got‭ ‬a‭ ‬laugh‭ ‬from‭ ‬Mark‭ ‬but‭ ‬he‭ ‬was‭ ‬swiftly‭ ‬shut‭ ‬up‭ ‬by‭ ‬the‭ ‬looks‭ ‬both‭ ‬James‭ ‬and‭ ‬Hope‭ ‬gave‭ ‬him,‭ ‬but‭ ‬the‭ ‬ice‭ ‬was‭ ‬finally‭ ‬broken‭ ‬which‭ ‬meant‭ ‬Hope‭ ‬could‭ ‬finally‭ ‬vent‭ ‬her‭ ‬feelings‭ ‬about‭ ‬the‭ ‬situation.‭ ‬I‭ ‬had‭ ‬been‭ ‬expecting‭ ‬a‭ ‬bit‭ ‬of‭ ‬annoyance,‭ ‬but‭ ‬I‭ ‬hadn't‭ ‬prepared‭ ‬myself‭ ‬for‭ ‬the‭  ‬angry‭ ‬torrent‭ ‬of‭ ‬words‭ ‬that‭ ‬came‭ ‬out‭ ‬of‭ ‬Hope‭ ‬as‭ ‬her‭ ‬eyes‭ ‬glared‭ ‬at‭ ‬me.

‎“‏Hmm‭ ‬I‭ ‬wonder‭ ‬why‭ ‬coming‭ ‬home‭ ‬to‭ ‬find‭ ‬a‭ ‬complete‭ ‬stranger‭ ‬in‭ ‬our‭ ‬house‭ ‬would‭ ‬be‭ ‬awkward‭! ‬You‭ ‬should‭ ‬be‭ ‬grateful‭ ‬we‭ ‬didn't‭ ‬call‭ ‬the‭ ‬cops‭! ‬Well‭ ‬isn't‭ ‬anyone‭ ‬going‭ ‬to‭ ‬ask‭ ‬her‭ ‬name‭? ‬Or‭ ‬ask‭ ‬how‭ ‬she‭ ‬got‭ ‬in‭ ‬here‭? ‬Wait,‭ ‬I‭ ‬got‭ ‬a‭ ‬better‭ ‬one,‭ ‬why‭ ‬is‭ ‬she‭ ‬here‭?” ‬James‭ ‬choked‭ ‬on‭ ‬his‭ ‬drink‭ ‬and‭ ‬threw‭ ‬Hope‭ ‬a‭ ‬look.‭ “‬What‭ ‬I‭ ‬can‭’‬t‭ ‬ask‭ ‬a‭ ‬simple‭ ‬question‭?” ‬she‭ ‬asked‭ ‬in‭ ‬a‭ ‬threatening‭ ‬tone.‭ ‬This‭ ‬woman‭ ‬was‭ ‬out‭ ‬for‭ ‬blood.

‎“‏She‭’‬s‭ ‬right,‭ ‬things‭ ‬would‭ ‬probably‭ ‬a‭ ‬little‭ ‬less‭ ‬awkward‭ ‬if‭ ‬we‭ ‬all‭ ‬knew‭ ‬each‭ ‬other's‭ ‬names.‭” ‬I‭ ‬said‭ ‬in‭ ‬what‭ ‬I‭ ‬hope‭ ‬was‭ ‬a‭ ‬cheerful--but‭ ‬not‭ ‬in a‭ ‬creepy‭ ‬way--‭ ‬tone.‭ “‬My‭ ‬name‭’‬s‭ ‬Angel,‭ ‬and‭ ‬I‭ ‬already‭ ‬figured‭ ‬out‭ ‬that‭ ‬your‭ ‬Hope‭ ‬and‭ ‬he‭’‬s‭ ‬Mark‭ ‬unless‭ ‬your‭ ‬guys‭’ ‬parents‭ ‬had‭ ‬a‭ ‬strange‭ ‬sense‭ ‬of‭ ‬humor.‭ ‬As‭ ‬for‭ ‬how‭ ‬I‭ ‬got‭ ‬in‭ ‬well‭ ‬I‭ ‬have‭ ‬a‭ ‬key.‭” ‬I‭ ‬informed‭ ‬her‭ ‬pulling‭ ‬out‭ ‬my‭ ‬small‭ ‬skeleton‭ ‬key‭ ‬James‭’ ‬mother‭ ‬had‭ ‬given‭ ‬me‭ ‬years‭ ‬before.

‎‏Hope‭ ‬glare‭ ‬had‭ ‬become‭ ‬even‭ ‬colder‭ ‬on‭ ‬that‭ ‬last‭ ‬fact.‭  ‬Her‭ ‬eyes‭ ‬shifting‭ ‬between‭ ‬my‭ ‬face‭ ‬and‭ ‬the‭ ‬key.‭ “‬You‭ ‬didn't‭ ‬answer‭ ‬one‭ ‬question,‭ ‬why‭ ‬are‭ ‬you‭ ‬here‭?” ‬This‭ ‬caused‭ ‬another‭ ‬coughing‭ ‬fit‭ ‬from‭ ‬James.‭ ‬Apparently‭ ‬he‭ ‬wasn't‭ ‬used‭ ‬to‭ ‬this‭ ‬kind‭ ‬of‭ ‬behavior.‭ ‬We‭ ‬both‭ ‬ignored‭ ‬him‭ ‬though.

‎“‏I'm‭ ‬an‭ ‬old‭ ‬friend‭ ‬of‭ ‬the‭ ‬family,‭ ‬and‭ ‬I‭ ‬just‭ ‬wanted‭ ‬to‭ ‬drop‭ ‬in.‭ ‬I've‭ ‬always‭ ‬had‭ ‬an‭ ‬open‭ ‬invitation.‭” ‬I‭ ‬informed‭ ‬her‭ ‬hoping‭ ‬for‭ ‬her‭ ‬sake‭ ‬she‭ ‬would‭ ‬drop‭ ‬this.‭ “‬I‭ ‬hope‭ ‬it‭’‬s‭ ‬still‭ ‬good‭?” ‬I‭ ‬looked‭ ‬at‭ ‬James‭ ‬confident,‭ ‬but‭ ‬still‭ ‬a‭ ‬little‭ ‬unsure‭ ‬for‭ ‬the‭ ‬first‭ ‬time.

‎“‏Like‭ ‬I‭ ‬said‭ ‬before,‭ ‬you'll‭ ‬always‭ ‬be‭ ‬welcome‭ ‬here.‭” ‬James‭ ‬answered‭ ‬smiling‭ ‬until‭ ‬he‭ ‬saw‭ ‬Hope‭’‬s‭ ‬face‭ ‬which‭ ‬was‭ ‬now‭ ‬the‭ ‬epitome‭ ‬of‭ ‬suspicion‭ “‬Now,‭” ‬he‭ ‬continued‭ ‬changing‭ ‬the‭ ‬topic.‭ “‬I‭ ‬think‭ ‬we‭ ‬better‭ ‬move‭ ‬on‭ ‬to‭ ‬dessert‭ ‬before‭ ‬Mark‭ ‬eats‭ ‬his‭ ‬plate.‭”

“Hey‎ ‏man,‭ ‬she‭ ‬can‭ ‬cook.‭ ‬Besides‭ ‬it‭ ‬a‭ ‬nice‭ ‬break‭ ‬from‭ ‬that‭ ‬mush‭ ‬you‭ ‬call‭ ‬food.‭” ‬replied‭ ‬Mark‭ ‬laughing.‭  “‬So,‭ ‬what's‭ ‬for‭ ‬dessert‭?” ‬turning‭ ‬to‭ ‬look‭ ‬at‭ ‬me‭ ‬at‭ ‬least‭ ‬one‭ ‬roommate‭ ‬didn't‭ ‬seem‭ ‬to‭ ‬mind‭ ‬me.

‎“‏Ice-cream‭ ‬and‭ ‬cream‭ ‬puffs.‭ ‬I‭ ‬didn't‭ ‬have‭ ‬time‭ ‬to‭ ‬actually‭ ‬make‭ ‬a‭ ‬dessert‭ ‬along‭ ‬with‭ ‬everything‭ ‬else.‭” ‬I‭ ‬glanced‭ ‬over‭ ‬at‭ ‬Hope‭’‬s‭ ‬face.‭ ‬I‭ ‬decided‭ ‬to‭ ‬call‭ ‬it‭ ‬a‭ ‬night‭ ‬since‭ ‬it‭ ‬still‭ ‬looked‭ ‬like‭ ‬she‭ ‬was‭ ‬contemplating‭ ‬killing‭ ‬someone.‭ “‬I‭ ‬think‭ ‬I'll‭ ‬start‭ ‬the‭ ‬dishes‭ ‬while‭ ‬you‭ ‬guys‭ ‬finish‭ ‬then‭ ‬I'll‭ ‬head‭ ‬to‭ ‬bed.‭ ‬It‭’‬s‭ ‬been‭ ‬a‭ ‬long‭ ‬day.‭”

“No,‎ ‏I‭’‬ll‭ ‬do‭ ‬the‭ ‬dishes‭ ‬you‭ ‬cooked.‭” ‬Hope‭ ‬said‭ ‬with‭ ‬an‭ ‬edge‭ ‬in‭ ‬her‭ ‬sweet‭ ‬voice‭ ‬and‭ ‬to‭ ‬that‭ ‬charming‭ ‬smile.‭ ‬It‭ ‬was‭ ‬clear‭ ‬that‭ ‬she‭ ‬just‭ ‬wanted‭ ‬me‭ ‬gone.‭ ‘‬Well,‭ ‬this‭ ‬is‭ ‬going‭ ‬to‭ ‬be‭ ‬pleasant.‭ ‬I‭ ‬hope‭ ‬she‭ ‬warms‭ ‬up‭ ‬to‭ ‬me‭ ‬soon‭ ‬or‭ ‬else‭ ‬living‭ ‬here‭ ‬is‭ ‬going‭ ‬to‭ ‬be‭ ‬uncomfortable.‭’

“Okay‎ ‏then‭ ‬um‭ ‬where‭ ‬am‭ ‬I‭ ‬staying‭? ‬Because‭ ‬I‭ ‬think‭ ‬all‭ ‬the‭ ‬rooms‭ ‬are‭ ‬taken.‭”  ‬I‭ ‬asked‭ ‬standing.

‎“‏Both‭ ‬the‭ ‬attic‭ ‬and‭ ‬the‭ ‬basement‭ ‬are‭ ‬open.‭” ‬James‭ ‬told‭ ‬me‭ ‬his‭ ‬eyes‭ ‬on‭ ‬Hope‭ “‬I‭’‬d‭ ‬suggest‭ ‬the‭ ‬attic‭ ‬though,‭ ‬since‭ ‬we've‭ ‬put‭ ‬moved‭ ‬the‭ ‬laundry‭ ‬to‭ ‬the‭ ‬basement.‭”

“Okay‎ ‏thanks.‭” ‬Yep‭ ‬this‭ ‬is‭ ‬going‭ ‬to‭ ‬be‭ ‬fun.‭ ‬I‭ ‬left‭ ‬the‭ ‬table‭ ‬knowing‭ ‬that‭ ‬Hope‭’‬s‭ ‬one‭ ‬unanswered‭ ‬question‭ ‬was‭ ‬going‭ ‬to‭ ‬haunt‭ ‬me.