The Journey Continues

Avoiding the Outbreak

We now set out for South Carolina, skipping over North Carolina. This place, of course, was also safe. This time, to add onto the gathering food, we listened to the radio to hear how far along the disease has spread. The broadcast said : "Virginia has just been taken over. The undead are now heading for north Carolina in a straight line from the outside of the U.S. to Canada. If you are close to these states, prepare for the hit." We all got silent. "We cant make as many stops now, we must keep moving!" I yelled in anger. I asked how long our current food supply would last and David said we would have to make one more stop if we were to head to Mexico.

We started to head for Mexico and we only stopped in Caillou Bay. There we got more food and some weapons. Then we started to head for the coast of Mexico. We got out of our boats at the Andy Bowie County Park. We half-hitched our boats to trees on the land and asked if someone could take us in the bed of their truck to the nearest car dealership. We got to the dealer and got a reliable Hummer. Then we returned to our boats and took all of our stuff off the boats and loaded the Hummer. We found a hotel close to the water to stay in so we could keep an eye on our boats. We got lucky because we only had $100 left for food when we got here. Now we only left the hotel for food. It took us eleven months to get where we are now and all we had was one month left until the infection comes where we are.

We listened to the radio and the broadcast said : "The outbreak now cuts a straight, vertical line from Austin, Mexico to Seattle, Washington. We were to be hit next. We bought some wood and barricaded the doors and the only light we kept were the battery powered lamps and candles we loaded up on.