Chapter 2: Burned

Max ^*^

He lifts his hands off my shoulder. Holding out his hand.

I place my palm in his.  He pulls me to my feet.

"Sorry, I didn't know you were a lady." He has a deep voice with a slight accent.

I can practically feel my mouth drooling.

Realizing when I shifted my dress was ripped apart, I stand with wide eyes.

I'M NAKED!

Realizing he was naked too I sprint to my house.

I jump through the door and slam it closed.

I rush up the ladder leading to a small second floor. I dig through a chest to find clothing.

I decide on a light blue dress. Sanding up and stepping into the dress I hear the door creak open.

I turn my head to see the trespasser standing in my doorway. He had manager to put on a shirt and pair of pants.

His eyes gaze up to me.

AHH!

I wrap the dress around my backside. "Excuse me!"

He drops his eyes and places his hand over them. "I'm sorry do carry on." I slightly see him peeking through his fingers. I glare down at him with raises eyebrows. He takes the hint and turns to face the door.

I pull the dress over my shoulders. I reach behind my back and grab the two stings. I fiddle until they're succored in a bow and tucked under the back of the dress.

I quickly glance in the mirror and slightly fix my strawberry blonde hair before stepping down the ladder. 

"You can open your eyes now." I tell him as my feet reach the floor.

His eyes fall over my face then trail down my body.

I watch his eyes move with my eyebrows  slightly crunched together.

"What's your name?" He stares back into my eyes.

"Sarah." I lie.

"Well, Sarah." He bows. "My sincere apologies for almost killing you." He stands up straight again.

Not sure about him yet, I nod my head. "And your name?"

"Max." He smiles. Placing his hands behind his back.

He could be the definition of gentleman.

"Why did you come here, Max?"

"Just passing through."

I walk to one if my kitchen counters and pours water into two cups.

Offering him one cup he takes it from my hand. I gesture for him to sit at my table. He sets his cup on the table and walks to my chair.

He pulls it out from the table, taking the hint I take the seat and he briefly scoots it in.

Returning to his seat and taking a sip from the cup. "Do you belong to a pack?"

"I did a very long time ago." Thinking if my father trading me for his own sake.

"Now?"

"No."

"Do you ever consider joining one?"

Yes.

"Not really." I drink from my cup.  The Council takes occasional visits to Packs. Since my father died a while back they still had a truce with most Packs.

We sit in silence for the next minute or so.

"Well." He stands up. "It was a pleasure talking with you." He puts the now empty cup on my counter.

"Pleasure was all mine." I stand and walk him to the door.

He leaves with a goodbye and disappears.

()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()

Sunday morning the villagers all run to the church. Frantic to know who was taken during the night.

No one I might add.

I watch from my window sipping cold tea.

A knock come from the other side of my door. I set my tea on the table and walk to the door.

"Sarah." Max stands on my porch.

"Good morning.." I step to the side, welcoming inside.

"Shouldn't you be joining everyone at church?"

He's suspicious.

"Yes I was just getting ready.  Are you joining today?"

"Yes."

I close the door behind me and follow him outside. We walk to the church entrance.

Crap. Vampires can't enter without being invited in.

Max steps through the entrance. "Well aren't you coming?"

I place my foot through the entrance.
My foot erupts in pain. I pull it back. "I forgot my purse at home." I play it off and quickly fast walk back towards my house.

Max just has to follow!

Once were both inside I start to climb the ladder to get my "purse."

I wince as my one foot takes all my body weight.

"Your hurt!"

"No, no." I try to continue climbing the ladder.

He grabs my leg and pulls my boot off.

Exposing my burned and blistered foot. I rest my head against one of the stepping planks.

You just can't help yourself can you?

" Vampires get burned entering when they're uninvited."