The Morning

Two days without food or water.

Max hasn't said more than five words to me since we were taken.

I probably haven't slept for more than 10 hours in the past few days.

This is probably their plan. Make us weak. Deny us the nutrients our bodies need to be strong, strong enough to fight them.

--0--

"Layla." The head Council member stands in the other side if the door.

I lift my head from between my knees.

"Oh my, you look like a mess."

"I wasn't aware..." I could feel the dirt caked on my skin and the knots in my hair. Plus the very little water I was provides resulted in very dry, cracked lips.

"Hm. Yes. Anyways, we have arranged for your execution in the morning." She smiled.

"My what?"

"Execution dear."

"What crime have I committed?"

None...

"Running from Council orders, murder, and I"m sure much more I'm unaware of."

"Bullshit." Max pipped up from his cell.

She ignored him. "You will be burned at the stake. Not a quick death, but for the most part a clean one."

"You have no proof of the crimes you say..."

She cut me off, "I have a pile of bodies to testify." She ran her globed hand down the bars of the cell door's small crevice of a window. "We will finally be rid of your kind."

Not if I can help it.

I pushed myself up to me feet. I wobbled over to the door. "Your problems are only beginning."