Chapter One

*Kris' POV*

Once I got that text from Tommy, I couldn't stop looking at it. You can have him. I know exactly what it means, but I can't really fathom it. Just two days ago Tommy couldn't wait to have Adam back and now he's basically throwing him away.

I tried to text him, sending multiple "Are you okay?"s and "What happened?"s. Eventually I stopped and ended with a last text that told him if he wanted to talk I'd have my phone ready. I called it a few times too, but they went either straight to voicemail or rang once or twice and then the voicemail came up.

 I was getting pretty worried by the time nightfall came, and gave him one last call before I gave up. Yesterday as soon as I woke up I checked my phone and there was nothing. It bothered me more than I could have thought and I barely had enough focus to get through the day.

 I couldn't get the thought that Adam had done something so bad to piss him off that much. It made my skin itchy and irritated the very fiber of my being. I still love him even after a year of not knowing how's he's changed. That's what bothered me the most.

It was hard to wake up this morning to drag myself out of bed, especially after still not being able to get a hold of Tommy, and because of the usual Monday grogginess. Unlike my normal mornings, I made myself some toast and had a glass of milk to get myself prepared for the day. The food gave me a bit more energy than I had from sleep and it got me out of my sleepwalking trance.

 I checked the clock, threw on a shirt from my dresser, grabbed my keys and headed out the door. My seats were a little chilly from the frost and my windows were fogged up so I sat in the car with the heat on, waiting for it to clear. I relaxed, sighed, ran my hand over the back of my neck and looked around absentmindedly.

There was an item that caught my attention lying on the floor of the passenger side and I leaned over the center divider to grab it. It was a book. I opened the inside cover and though there wasn't a name on it, I knew it had to be Tommy's because he's the only one who has been in the car recently with me. I'm determined to give it back to him so that I have a reason to talk to him, even if he doesn't want it.

My friends from my classes and I are all hanging around in our first period class before anyone else's classes begins. They're all chatting amongst themselves, looking at each other across moved and rearranged desks in front of me. I have out my binder with paper and a pen and I'm not focusing really on anything as I scribble down meaningless doodles in the margins of my notebook.

The book Tommy left is in my lap and it feels like a brick. My left hand plays with my hair with irritation and a blue circle forms and progressively grows in the bottom right-hand corner of my paper.

"Hey, what's eating you?" my friend named Chelsea asks suddenly and when I look up I see everyone staring at me. I blink at them for a moment before I glance down at my hand and stop what I'm doing.

"Nothing, I'm just tired," I tell them, giving a weak smile and, as if on cue, I yawn. Most of them shrug and continue on but Chelsea asks one more time;

"You sure?" I nod my head and the teacher walks in, causing everyone to move everything back in its correct spots.

Like I had expected, it's hard for me to concentrate and I barely have the mindset to do as my teacher is asking, but, being the good student that I am, my subconscious does it for me and I'm thankful because if it wasn't for that I would be falling behind.

In all my other classes I was the same way. I'm just glad it's the end of the day now. I nearly fall into my locker from being so mentally exhausted. It's been a while since I've felt this way, and I don't like it at all. I feel like I have to fix it somehow. I yawn as I grab my things and throw on my leather jacket. I shut my locker, twisting the lock to zero, keeping my phone in my hand to check if I had any unread messages. And—nope. Damn.