3

This is exactly the kind of shit I expected. We got to the hospital like ten minutes ago, and already Becca is in here blowing up Arsenio's phone. Wanting him to be here with her. I'm beyond the point of being pissed off. Its like damn, you already know what he's about so why fuck with him?

"I hope he's not mad at me. Do you think he'll still wanna be with me." she asks me,

"As long as he can use you as a toy he will." I simply say. There is no point in holding in my opinion. At the end of the day it won't change anything. She's still gone be under that nigga's thumb. It doesn't matter how much he fucks her up, or how many hospital visits she has.

"Persia don't start."she says trying to wave me off.

"Becca, you are twenty-two years old now. At your age you should be getting turned up in college or something. Not taking haymakers from the man who is supposed to love you. I know you getting tired of hearing this shit. But, I'm tired of the shit you choose to do." I say. I'm trying to be nice, it doesn't ever last long.

"Persia you just don't know what it's like to love a man."she says.

"From the looks of it, you don't either. That's not love, Becca. It never will be." I tell her.

"It wouldn't have happened if I was dancing more appropriately." I just know she didn't just say that.

"It wouldn't have happened if you would stop rocking with such a lame ass nigga." just then the door swings open.

Arsenio walks in with a smile on his face. It disappeared when he saw me.

"That was foul Persia." he says to me.

"Keep looking at me and you gone see what else is in my purse. Foul is what you see every time you look in the mirror."

Mel(short for Melanie) comes rushing through the door.

"Really Becca! I'm getting tired of this shit." she yells, not caring who hears her. We've both been telling Becca the same thing, she just won't listen. I already know how this is gonna end. It will be a sad day when it happens.

Mel decided to give me a ride home, so as you can imagine I was more than happy to leave.

"She ain't gone last much longer. That man is gonna kill her." Mel says.

"I know. But what else are we supposed to do for her. She's so wrapped up in him, that she don't even smell her death coming." I say. Becca won't last another full week. She won't, I know know before this month is over with I'll be attending her funeral. We can't do anything for her though. She wasn't always like this, once upon a time she had dreams. Real dreams, and now she only dreams of Arsenio. Tears are on the verge of coming out, so I hold them in. Deep down I wish I could save her. I see her dying but I can't stop the actions that are about to transpire. Images of mama's dead body find themselves lodged into my brain. The burdens I carry are so heavy.

I knew it wasn't another night ride that night. Mama had us about six suitcases packed. I've never seen her pack so many bags.

A new start. A new life. Mama's voice echoes in my head. Her tear stricken face. The way she sniffled while driving. I knew it was unusual. But my young ass didn't know nothing about nothing.

"Persia? Are you crying?" Mel asks frantically.

"I'm sorry. I was just thinking about my mother." I say.

"You never talked about her."

"Not much to tell. She's been dead for a long time now. I try not to think about it too much, but I think about her everyday."