Toya

"I'm moving out."

"Oh yeah? To where?" My mother laughs in that spiteful way of hers. "You're 23 with no job. Where are you going?"

"Don't worry about it," I answer honestly. "Anywhere away from you is good enough."

Stalking up to my room, I grab a travel bag and start throwing things in it. I've had it past my breaking point with her and sometimes I truly feel like the only reason she's still around is because I'm not cut out for the jail time that my thoughts would surely bring me if they ever came to life.

Pulling a box out of a hidden corner, I grab the money I've been saving for years and put it into a makeup case before adding that to my bag. Looking around, I do a quick inventory to see if I'm missing anything before sliding my bedroom key off of my house keys and leaving them on the bed. Walking back down the stairs with a renewed sense of purpose, I walk past her, pausing only to put on my shoes.

"If you walk out of that door, don't think you're coming back." She threatens, but the wobble in her voice gives her away.

She didn't think I would actually leave.

"If I have my way, I don't plan on coming back. Let's see how you do without me." I glare at her before walking out the door. As the lock clicks, it feels as if a weight has been ripped from my chest and I can actually breathe again. Its been too long since I've felt like that.

Firing off a quick text message to Anne, I head for the train station, mind already going a mile per minute in trying to get an apartment I can afford and the ever present, ever annoying job search. Sucks that the previous generations made a mess of everything and mine is the one that has to pay for it.

Pushing that thought aside, I read the message Liam sent as I wrote him while packing in a silent fury.

Courage.

It brings a small smile to my lips.