Toya

Liam has been watching me out the side of his eyes for days since I said that I would handle our two quite persistent issues.

He, Z, Noah and Aiden are sprawled across play mats taking naps. Noting this as good a time as any, I quietly slip through the door after checking that Aiden won't come into contact with anything that can harm him if he and his brother wake up before their father and uncle.

Taking Liam's sports car, I head downtown. Parking and grabbing a ticket to place under the windshield wipers, I make my way into the clearly upper class high-rise building.

Waiting on the elevator, I double check my outfit: fitted high-waist grey skinny jeans, rolled up at the ankle. Black, strappy heels. Black faux snakeskin flats tucked in my bag for driving. A simple scoop neck black tank and an off white semi professional suit jacket coat. Both wedding bands on and shiny as ever, my hair pulled back into a bun with some shorter, curvier pieces framing my face and neck.  Simple, pear shaped earrings. Lips vamped and matte, light mascara.

Stepping on the elevator, I count the floors until I reach the one I'm looking for, focused on the slight pressure building in the ball of my foot from the incline my heels have my feet on. All in all, with added heel height, I'm at least five ten or five feet eleven inches. Keeping my head up and shoulders squared, I keep record of the sounds of my heels clicking across the well tiled lobby floor.

The receptionist looks up, a small smile appearing on her features.

"Lovely to see you again Mrs.Payne, you can walk straight on back."

"Thanks Nancy. How are your boys?" I ask the woman, only a few years my senior. She smiles softly, eyes glancing to the picture of her twin boys on her desk. "They're wonderful. They loved train set you sent them, thank you."

Returning her smile, I nod and walk to the biggest office at the end of the hall. Knocking the door once and hearing to come in. I stroll into the office, dropping my bag on the seat next to me and waiting for the man in front of me to finish his phone call. He holds up a finger, still engrossed in his phone conversation and I wait, eyes scanning over his degrees and various books scattering a multitude of bookcases.

He looks me over, a ghost of a smile playing on his features and I stick my tongue out at him, his stifling laugh making me laugh quietly while he wraps up his phone call.

Replacing the cell phone on the charger, he laces his fingers together on the table and watches me.

"What did you do now?" He sighs.

"Why does it always have to be me?" I ask, hand raising to my chest in mock indignation. "How do you know they didn't deserve it and I was perfectly justified-"

"You ran back to hit her. I taught you better than this. What's the point of having a lawyer for an uncle if you break the one rule I give you- never run back once they've been the first to attack?"

Scolded, I drop my head. "Sorry."

He waves a hand dismissively. "Too late for those. While I can't give you and legal advice as a lawyer, as your uncle I would tell you to file your counter claims in New York. Your restraining orders filed in that state as well as a rape kit ( don't look at me like that, you think I wouldn't find out?). You may have a leg to stand on to nail both of them."

"But she's preg-"

"Of all the lies she's told to give you a hard time, this is the one you'll accept with no receipt?" He makes a tsk sound, flipping through some papers.

"Take this case to New York. Fight from there."

Nodding, I lean over the table to hug my uncle and exit his office, feeling better to have a solid plan of action.