Liam (3 mos)

Toya has been weird since I got home a few days ago.

She's completely avoiding some of her favorite foods, others making her this odd shade of green. When I asked my mum about it, she just gave me this knowing smile and said "it'll settle itself soon enough."

Currently watching her sleeping figure from the bathroom doorway, I smile softly before walking into my studio.

Checking work emails, I come across one I missed from her. Opening it, I laugh, reading the small tune she wrote for me.

Better than words
More than a feeling
Crazy in love
Handprints on the ceiling
Cuz every time we touch
I'm all shook up
You make me wanna
How deep is your love?
Nine months only knows
Baby, Baby
I don't know how to sum it up
Cuz words ain't good enough
I can't explain our love
Oh (oh)

Nine months?

Walking back into the bedroom, I head straight to the bed and gently pull the comforter from her body, scanning her head to toe. Seeing nothing, my eyes drift to the ceiling and I see a small set of tracks.

A treasure hunt?

Following the footprint tracks, I walk into the bathroom and see one of the first pictures we took together taped to her side of the vanity. Then I follow the footprints into the living room, where she's left a small note on the couch. Eyes crinkling as I read it, I glance towards the bedroom again, completely satisfied with who I'm choosing to call Mrs.Payne.

The footprints trail into the kitchen and I'm wondering how I missed them before, but coming to a dead halt at the fridge. A note titled "open me" is taped to it. Removing it and opening it, the breath is knocked out of me.

Morning sleepyhead, I knew you'd be restless trying to figure out why I skipped on the pasta last night. We both know I love pasta, our baby... Not so much. This mama has to make some concessions. Our little one snuck up on me two months ago, having been well under the radar for a full month before that. You're going to be an amazing dad. I, we love you.

Attached to the note are three sonogram pictures. They barely even register to me as I'm running back to our bedroom and pulling her into a hug, kissing her face and stomach, and then panicking I'm being too rough as she stirs. She watches me carefully for a minute before her face dissolves into smiles and I pull her in my arms, happy tears leaking down my face.

We hadn't planned to start so early, but I can't imagine anyone else having my babies.

Calling my mom, she sighs in relief that I finally know and she cries happy tears with Toya, vowing to come visit as soon as possible.

Toya subconsciously rubs her stomach and I smile to myself, knowing that in a few months I'll be able to feel my child kicking and anticipating cravings runs.

For a moment, I'm just Liam, getting excited over his fiancé having his baby and not The Liam Payne, former boy bander. I love that feeling of normalcy I have with her. Sobering, I realize I'll have to be more vigilant about her protection, for both her and our baby.

I know she doesn't feel like she needs it, but I won't take any chances.

1+1= 3

I'm fine with that math, as long as it's her.