Night Flame: Chapter Thirteen

Riley POV

They had decided to search the sky for Karen. The girls had been scouring the sky for a long time. It had almost been two hours. But the only things they saw were the occasional bird. The sky was growing blacker and blacker. Riley believed it had some sort of eerie meaning.

“She’s not here, either!” Lucia shouted from around 100 meters away.

“I wonder if she’s already been taken to Grant’s palace.” Hailey murmured.

It’s all my fault again, now it’s just not Noel, it’s Karen too! Riley thought. I’ll show them that I can save them by myself!

They landed on the beach five hours later. We were exhausted. We had flown more than we ever had and it was taking a toll on us. All of our shoulders were on fire as we touched down on the beach. “In the end, we just couldn’t find her.” Lucia sobbed.

“I’m completely worn out, let’s rest a little then come back.” Hailey whined.

“You two can go back by yourselves.” I said, staring up at the sky. I wasn’t ready to give up on Karen that quickly.

“Riley! You can’t search for Karen on your own! Right now, we’re all exhausted and we can’t win against those new Demmonan.” Hailey tried to reason. “If you get caught now, what are we gonna do? Do you really think Karen would be happy if you did that?!”

“No…..she wouldn’t be.” I whispered, my eyes still on the sky where Karen was probably furiously waiting.

Karen POV

They actually hadn’t taken her to Grant’s castle because she didn’t have her Necklace. Her plan actually did work out!

“Even though Grant is waiting in his castle, you don’t even have your necklace. I guess that means your power is only half of what it could be with the necklace.”

“But don’t you think the other Nephilium with her Necklace will show up to save their comrade?” The second girl asked.

“You’re kidding yourselves! Do you really think that I need to be saved by the likes of them?!” Karen asked from the ring of fire. “I’ll get out of this myself!” she said, nearing the edges of the fire walls.

“What a rude little Nephilium. You’re really annoying. Would you mind shutting up for a little while?” the older one asked.

But before Karen could answer, they put a charm on her, making her pass out.

Riley POV

The three of them had set out early in the morning, this time, determined to find Karen. After around two hours of searching to no avail, they found a black castle. The three all exchanged nervous glances. Could this be it? Was this Grant’s castle?

“Could it be…?” Riley began.

“That’s….Grant’s castle…” Hailey whispered. The three picked up their speed until they were standing right in front of it. The castle was huge to say the least. It had large walls and columns supporting it, all of course black. Lucia tried the front doors, but they were locked.

There was an open window that they lifted and climbed through. Thankfully, Riley had grown strong enough to use her invisibility powers on Lucia and Hailey, or else they would’ve been caught by the many ravens soaring through the castle. Other than the ravens though, the castle was completely empty.

“Somewhere in this castle, Karen and Noel are being held prisoner.” Lucia whispered.

“Yeah. And until we find them, we should be careful.” Hailey added as they journeyed through the dimly lit halls. Several doors lined the halls and the girls weren’t too sure which door to try. They had turned into another room when a bright light shone on them, making Riley’s invisibility charm wear off.