i.i

Two kits
One was black. One was gray. One with green eyes, one with blue.
One looked perfect. That was me.
One didn't. That was her.

"Get up, Dawnkit!"

The small gray kit opened her ice-blue eyes, blinking quickly so they would adjust to the dim light of the nursery.

"I said, get up!" The black kit prodded her sister with her tiny paw. "Let's go outside."

The gray kit stood up slowly, her thin legs shaking.

"Hurry up!" The black kit ran outside.
"Wait for me, Nightkit!" The gray kit moved as quickly as she could, but she could not run nearly as fast as her sister. Nightkit poked her head back through the nursery entrance.

"Dawnkit, are you okay?" she asked quietly.

Dawnkit nodded and followed her sister. "I'm fine."

"Is your paw okay?" Nightkit bent down and peered at her sister's front left paw.

"I'm fine, Nightkit!"

Nightkit frowned. "Why is your paw crooked?"

Dawnkit shrugged. "I don't know. Mama says it's okay, and I'm just fine the way I am."

"You're not perfect, though." Nightkit looked at her sister.

Dawnkit twitched her ears. "So what? What does that even mean?"

Nightkit shrugged. "It's just what they all say- 'you have to be perfect. Per-perfection.'" She paused. "Mama says I'm perfection."

Dawnkit shrugged again. "And what if we're not? I'm not."

Nightkit shrugged. "It's bad, I think. Mama was talking to Froststar, when you were sleeping- something bad happens to imperfections. She was scared, and Froststar was talking to her, but they were really quiet, I don't know what they were saying."

"You were going to be killed," murmured a small voice.