ii.ii

Dawnpaw looked at her sister apologetically and turned to the leader instead. Froststar led Dawnpaw into her den.

"What's going on?" Puddlepaw flicked his black tail at the leader's den.

Nightpaw twitched her ears. "I don't know." She wove her way through the other cats, stopping just outside the leader's den and hiding in a cluster of ferns. No cat will see me, she thought, I won't get into trouble.

Froststar's voice was quiet.

"You understand how serious this is, Dawnpaw?"

"Yes." Nightpaw pictured her sister looking at their leader and smiling.

"You have two moons, Dawnpaw."

"Two moons for what?"

"You are an imperfection, Dawnpaw."

The ferns rustled as Nightpaw moved closer to Froststar's den. The leader's voice was nearly silent.

"I'm- what?" Nightpaw winced. Dawnpaw would never understand.

"You are an imperfection," Froststar repeated. "You do not belong in this clan."

"You made me an apprentice," said Dawnpaw. Nightpaw imagined her sister looking at their leader with defiance in her icy eyes. Dawnpaw was brave. Apprentices didn't usually talk to the leader like that.

Dawnpaw's either brave or stupid.

"Two moons. You can be an apprentice for two moons. I will decide if you are worthy to be kept alive even though you are an imperfection."

"And what if I'm not?" Dawnpaw's voice was small. Nightpaw knew her sister didn't need to ask. She didn't need to hear the answer to her question.

Froststar knew Dawnpaw understood.
"You know what happens to imperfections."