x.v

Nightpaw wanted to ask Puddlepaw how in Starclan's name he was so calm, but thought it inappropriate at the current time. She asked a different question instead.

"Where's Ravenstep?"

Dawnpaw's frightened eyes widened. "You're not actually suggesting that Ravenstep had something to do with this!"

"He's the most likely suspect," Nightpaw replied, her curiosity crushing her fear. "He'd have to have been very, very sneaky, but he's smart enough to pull it off." Nightpaw hated herself, she hated herself terribly for being more interested in the reasons for her friend's state than the fact he was in it, but she couldn't help herself.

It's like when I was asking about Snowykit's death. I didn't think it was real.

This can't be real either.

Forgetting about Ravenstep for the moment, Nightpaw turned to Puddlepaw instead. "Where's Blackpaw now?"

"With Barkpelt," Puddlepaw answered promptly, "And he says we aren't allowed in the medicine cat den, and that's the only reason we're out here now."

Nightpaw nodded. "How-when-"

Puddlepaw somehow knew what Nightpaw was trying to ask. "I was hunting. Dawnpaw was taking a nap."

"I was taking a nap!" Dawnpaw wailed.

Puddlepaw ignored the pale gray she-cat. "When I came back, Stormpetal and Ravenstep were helping Barkpelt get Blackpaw to the medicine cat's den. They wouldn't tell me anything more than I've told you."

"Okay," Nightpaw murmured, "Where's Ravenstep now, then?"

"Out looking for Silverleaf, I think he said," Puddlepaw replied, then lowered his voice. "I also think he has something to do with- whatever happened."

Thoughts tumbled through Nightpaw's mind so quickly she had to will herself to slow down and stop thinking. Silverleaf is still gone? Ravenstep has fled the scene, he's guilty and he knows it....

Leaves rustled at the medicine cat den and Barkpelt emerged, carrying clumps of dry moss in his teeth. His dark tabby tail trailing lifelessly on the ground, he padded over to the apprentices.

Dawnpaw looked like she wanted to grab the medicine cat and shake him until he spit out some answers.
"What happened? Is he going to be okay?"

Please please please let him be okay...

Barkpelt dropped the moss at his feet and answered both questions at once.

"I don't know."