xxi.i

Two cats
Dawnpaw was shaking. Froststar stood still.
Froststar was broken.
I almost smiled.
Dawnpaw knew. I could see it in her eyes. Dawnpaw had known. She knew it was foolish to hope for the impossible. She knew this was going to happen.
I had forgotten that I knew too.

Nightpaw followed the rest of the clan, and they approached the circle in the dirt.

There was nobody to speak the ritualistic words as the Enforcers enforced the sixteenth addition to the Warrior Code, but nobody cared.

They all knew what would've been said.

Imperfections don't belong in a clan.

We must enforce the Warrior Code, for the good of the clan as a whole.

Ravenstep and Duskshade stepped forward. Ravenstep towered over Dawnpaw, who suddenly looked so much smaller as she sat in the shadow of the much larger black cat. His yellow eyes wouldn't look at her. No, they found a place on the back of her neck, the top of her spine. He knew what to do.

Froststar bent her head, staring at the ground. She had been waiting all this time for someone to find out who she was, but she did not know they would ever find out. She thought she would die a beloved leader, not a known Imperfection.

Dawnpaw fixed her blue eyes away from the Enforcers, who were circling around her as if she was a piece of prey.

Away from her leader.

Away from her Clan.

Away from her sister.

Dawnpaw looked at the sky.