x.i

Two friends
It was a strange sort of relationship they had.
That of an imperfection and a revolutionary.

Nightpaw awoke to an argument.

Shaking out her fur and sitting up in her nest, she noticed that she and Puddlepaw were the only apprentices who hadn't gone outside yet.

She blinked twice, focusing on the other apprentice's curled form. He looked so small when he slept, and she could trick herself into thinking that he wouldn't be taller than her when he did stand up.

Nightpaw blinked again and twitched her nose, shaking her head, clearing away the thoughts of Puddlepaw.

Two cats were having a heated discussion outside and she stood up quickly, wanting to go outside and watch. To join in, maybe. She grinned. Nothing like an argument to start the day.

A dusky ginger she-cat was snapping at a thin black tom. Blackpaw, she noticed instantly. And the she-cat was one called Redflower, whom Nightpaw knew to be Rosepaw's mother.

This will be interesting.

Redflower's ginger-spotted fur stood on end. "Starclan will punish us," she hissed, "For allowing an imperfection in the clan!"

Blackpaw was silent for a moment, thinking carefully before responding to the dark ginger she-cat.

"You may think so," he replied calmly, "But Dawnpaw has done nothing but benefit this clan."

Nightpaw bit her tongue. That's stretching the truth a tiny bit.

She stifled a gasp of surprise as dark fur brushed her own- Puddlepaw had woken up, and was watching the scene as well. The older apprentice stood beside Nightpaw, his expression revealing that he was deep in thought.

Redflower sniffed. "She's nothing but an embarrassment," she said venomously, "She is unable to hunt or fight or do anything else of value! There's a reason imperfections are killed!"

Nightpaw noticed her sister, sitting across from her and listening to her friend with wide eyes. Blackpaw and Redflower stood between them, and the senior warrior seemed oblivious to the small crowd of apprentices watching the scene.

Blackpaw frowned. "The murder of innocent cats is never right, nor necessary," he replied, "And Dawnpaw has no reason to die just because you deem her unimportant."

Nightpaw frowned. Blackpaw was treading on dangerous territory, she knew. Redflower knew as well.

The senior warrior narrowed her dark blue eyes and lashed her thick tail. "Starclan will punish you."

"That's fine." Blackpaw smiled cheekily.

Rosepaw's mother snorted in barely concealed disgust and padded away, glancing back at the skinny black apprentice and wrinkling her nose.