Chapter 19- Step Into The Future

It was the second to last week of Hogwarts, and the school was buzzing with anticipation. After all, graduation for their Seventh Years was right around the corner. Everyone was preparing to part with the castle they had grown up in, and even the toughest students shed a few tears. 

"A-all right. Students, please line up here. We are going to run through the graduation script again." McGonagall's voice slightly wavered as she thought about parting with these students. She had watched them grow up, and now they were going to be saying good bye in a week.

--

It was soon the day of graduation, and all the students were in the Great Hall. 

"Congratulations to all the students moving onto the real world. I am extremely proud of your achievements, and I hope- actually, I know- that you will do great things in the future. Let your heart lead you. May you always be as strong as you are kind. With that, I wish good blessings upon all of you. Now to our Head Girl and Head Boy." Dumbledore finished, with a bittersweet smile on his face. 

Lily stepped in front of the podium and brushed a loose strand of hair away from her face. Taking a deep breath, she delivered her speech.

"I can't believe that we've all come this far. There is something just simply magical about attending Hogwarts. And even as we part our separate ways, I know that we will stick together. There's something spectacular about friendship that makes it outlive schooldays. I hope everyone will have a bright future filled with prosperity and magic. Yes, we are finally graduating!" Lily grinned a 100-watt smile, and the Seventh Years applauded, just as eager about their graduation as Lily. 

James stumbled to the podium, awkward and worried. Lily gave him a knowing look that seemed to say, you didn't write a speech, hm. James cleared his throat, and smiled. 

"Um, well, as you know, we are going to be leaving this place in less than a week. Our dormitories will be empty. Our schoolwork thrown out. We are leaving for a life of uncertainty. But the thing that will remain is our legacy. What we did here will be remembered for the rest of our life. And that's why I want to be know as..." James paused here, uncertain. "I want to be known as the 'Boy who Proposed on Graduation Day'."

The crowd gasped, and a few people fainted, squealed, or cried. 

"Lily Marie Evans. I've known you since First Year, and you're honestly the most bloody important person in my world. I can't imagine a world without you, and if something were to happen to me in this war, I want to be by your side as long as I can." James looked back out the crowd. "We can't wait for our future to come to us, because then, we will miss the most beautiful things there are." His eyes shifted back to Lily, and he dropped to one knee. 

"Lily, will you make me the happiest person in the world and become Mrs. Potter?" James' brain was internally panicking, afraid of rejection.

Lily tilted her head, pretending to ponder the question. She had been praying that James would propose to her, and she was about to propose to him herself. 

"Yes. Yes. A million times yes!" She squealed and wrapped her arms around James' neck. "I love you."

"I know." James said with a smirk.

"Oh, you egotistical brat." Lily said with a laugh and a light kiss to James' lips. 

"Ha ha, very funny. But now you're stuck with me, Mrs. Potter." James laughed, putting his arms around her waist. 

The kissed for a little bit longer, until someone yelled, "Get a room, you love struck gits." Then the newly engaged couple just blushed and sat down in their designated seats. 

A few other students made speeches, but no one thought any was as impressive as James'. After all, who could top that?

After receiving their diplomas, the students were released to the Quidditch Pitch for a celebration. All the girls flooded Lily, fawning over the emerald-gem-studded golden band. 

--

Severus, however, was completely bitter. He was completely shocked by James' proposal, and he was baffled by Lily's acceptance. His Lily's acceptance. She belonged to him, she was meant to be with Severus. Lily's words toward James in their Fifth Year rung in his head, "Oh, Potter? He's just another egotistically prick. I would never fancy him in a million years." 

How was he supposed to "step into the future", if he was pitying his past. Quite frankly, Severus didn't know. He wanted to protect Lily, but he didn't know how. He didn't know. He didn't know. Angry and confused, Severus fled the party and ran into the Forbidden Forest. Wiping away tears he didn't know were there, he stumbled through the knotted roots and sky scraper sized trees. 

Without looking, he slammed his back into a tree and let lose a guttural cry of sadness. As his pale, malnourished body racked with sobs, Dumbledore noticed the boy in a corner of the woods. 

"Severus, I do not believe that you are supposed to be here. There are many monsters and demons in this part of the wood. It would do you best to return to the castle." Dumbledore said, trying to calm the boy.

"Let them come. I have nothing to live for. S-she's g-gone. GONE." Severus screamed, looking at Dumbledore with red, bloodshot eyes. "You don't understand. You're happy, surrounded by love. If you sneeze, you get a thousand 'bless you's. If I sneeze, I get a pissed face and rumors about me summoning the Dark Lord. It's not fair! Life is not bloody fair and there is nothing I can do to fix it!" 

Dumbledore sat next to him, thinking deeply. "Why, Severus. If you think hard enough of course there is something you can do. Think." With that, Dumbledore rose to his feet and left Severus. 

Now that he did think about it, there was something he could do. He ran after Dumbledore, calling for the man. A few hours later, he was in Dumbledore's office agreeing to a deal. Lily would be saved after all, no matter what. Severus had a half-smile on his face for the rest of the day, which perplexed everyone. 

--

Dumbledore was smiling as Minerva fished in her pockets for 5 galleons.

Clink. Clink. Clink. Clink. Clink. 

Dumbledore closed his palm and let his smile grow broader. "Well, Minerva, never underestimate the power of love. It will come when it is unexpected and be scarce where it is wanted. I do hope the Potter's will live a normal life."

But both of them knew that Mr. and Mrs. Potter would have anything but a normal life. But that's for another story.