Chapter 4: Darkness

0X

I sprinted quickly along the fence line, bending low so no cars could see me. But it was very difficult to do this, and hurt my back. So instead when cars passed I stopped, hiding behind the fence and in the bramble. When there weren't any cars I ran as far as I could, until a car did come. If the coverage wasn't so good I had to lay flat on the ground. After about ten minutes of this, I came to an other fence, separating the fields. But the other field had no fences anywhere around it like near the road or behind it. I stepped up to the fence, but a car came rushing past. I pushed myself to the ground. Two other cars passed after the speeding car.
That could have been bad.
I waited a few more moments before I hopped the fence, listening intently to the road and looking for lights. Nothing, all was clear. I pulled myself up and over the fence, being careful not to get my pants snagged on the metal. I landed on the ground with ease, since these types of fences were common, and I was used to climbing them. I walk over to the ditch, thinking this would be a good place to cross. I thought I recognized the area I was in, knowing that there was I two way cross somewhere to my right, because I was coming from the left. We traveled this way a lot, not the way I was coming from, but where the roads met, that place. There were two short cuts, and a normal way. The first short cut was straight from the road that we usually came from, the second was a little farther down to the left, and straight from the direction I was coming from.
I dashed across the road, diving for cover as a car came close to being within seeing range.
I needa be more careful, cation before speed.
I used George to help myself up, then jumped the ditch. No more cars come by for awhile on the road that was now behind me. I looked up at the sky as I walked through this field. It didn't have corn stalks in it, I think they had been harvested but not recently, the ground wasn't turned up. It was quite flat. As I was looking up at the sky, and marvelling at how beautiful the stars were. It was very dark, but my eyes were already adjusted to the light. The stars shone brightly down, lighting my way. But I couldn't see a moon. I was kinda sad about that, I loved the moon. It's just so beautiful, and there's something about it that just, calls me. Thats why I always joke around about my being a wolf because, I just love the moon.
I looked back down and saw where I was. Now I was at the road, the first short cut. But I became unsure of myself.

"Is this the way?" I say to myself, looking from left to right.
I shrug my shoulders as I step onto the pavement. After walking so long on the soft dirt, it felt weird to be walking on the ruff pavement. The sound of my shoes hitting the ground echoed off the trees. Nothing made a sound except me. Clouds started to form in the sky, and I wondered if it would rain.
But I'm not stopping if it does.
A car suddenly comes over the hill, and I dive back into the field, hiding in the tall dry grass near the ditch. The truck goes by, and then silence is once again my friend. I start to doubt myself, looking back at the surrounding area. This doesn't look like the way. I stop and cross the road, sitting in the ditch on the other side as a car goes by. There's an other empty field behind me, so I scale the ridge and start walking in this field. I'm still close to the road, and so when a car comes by, I hide in one of the ruts. They're all very deep because the ground had recently been upturned. My shoes were very muddy from all the fields I've been walking through, there was probably three extra pounds on my shoes right now, so I carefully took off my shoes to scrap off the dirt. A car went by on the road behind me, but I didn't mind. I was far enough away from it to not be noticeable. I was now approaching a small tree thicket, or small forest. It was behind a house, with a large backyard. I used George to push through the tree part, the brush was very thick. I came to the end of that, and now it was a metal fence.
Wow more metal fences of this design wow how can I get over it wow so difficult ugh I guess I gotta give up ugh this is to hard wow.
I climbed up onto it, and jumped to the ground, landing with a thud on the lawn below. I hid behind a tree while I gathered my surroundings and calculated the quickest way through this yard without being seen by the people inside the house. The house was farther up, because the lawn sloped down, to where I was. I stepped around the tree and immediately heard a deep growling bark, followed by more barks just as deep and loud. I could tell it was only one dog, but I couldn't tell if it was outside or not. This could attract attention from the humans on the inside of the house, or since this dog sounded big, the dog could come and attack me. And I didn't think George could fend off a big dog attack. I quickly ran through the yard and jumped the next fence.
Noway am I getting caught its only a little after nine.
I was now in some kind of foresty marsh, with a creek/river running through it. There was a big fallen tree across the water, and I approached it looking down at the water below. There was more forest/swampiness on the other side, and the road was on my left. A bridge went over the river, but that was to risky. A car could come and I would have no place to go. I couldn't hide in any ditch because there wouldn't be one. I carefully edged my way onto the fallen tree, and used George for balance. I could hardly see, and struggled across to almost the middle.
This doesn't seam safe, there is noway I can get past this next part there's a branch in the way.
I looked skeptically at the other side, then back at where I had come from. A car drove past on the bridge, but I knew they couldn't see me. Still, I tensed up. The bark on the tree was very slippery, and dangerous. I decided to turn back and try and run the bridge. I would rather get seen by a car then fall into the water with my phone, plus it was getting quite chilly. I carefully backed up and turned around, inching my way back to the edge of the ridge, it was quite a drop actually. I looked down at the closest ledge. If I missed this, I would fall into the mud, or worse, the water. I counted to three, and took my leap of faith, landing smoothly on the ledge. Still weary, I grabbed a small nearby tree and pulled myself up, pushing through the bushes to the bridge. I wasn't around the bridge part I was around the railing part, so I climbed up and walked a little bit, until I couldn't anymore. Then with a final glance in both directions, hopped the rail and started running the bridge. I don't know if I've ever ran that fast. I sprinted the first bridge in about a minute and a half or so, but who was counting. I rolled down onto the slope, to hide from a passing truck and to catch my breath. I knew the person or people hadn't seen me though. I smiled to myself, looking back at the bridge, feeling proud. No more cars were coming, so I walked on the road, past a house, before the next car came. The next car came, so I went down into the ditch, hiding from the passing car. Then I scaled the hill peppered with tiny trees, and climbed an other metal fence. I hid behind a tree, to catch my breath, laying on the ground. By now I'm used to laying on the ground, from all the stuff I had had to do before. So I just looked around.
Hey there's that miners thingy... What is it even for? I haven't seen anyone go there in like ever, and I don't even think it runs.
I laugh at the cars that go by, unaware that I am here watching them go, but they have no clue a young teenage girl is hiding here, a runaway. After about three cars I'm ready to move again, but it's getting harder and harder to get up again. I make it halfway down the fence thing, when an other few cars come. I willingly drop, laying on the ground again.
I'm so tired.
But no thought of turning back even entered my mind anymore. Just one word plagued my mind. It's the one word that pushed me on and kept me from realizing how absolutely tired I was, how hungry, how sore, how done with life. I held onto this one word, with all the will I had left in my soul. Just one word...
Go.