Chapter Five

February 25 12:10pm

Fun Times Theme Park ~ Manitoba Smyth's POV

Violet Locks stormed past me, completely ignoring my question, and approached the body with crossed arms. I guess it WAS a little personal of me to ask about her reasons for becoming a detective... Whoops.

Violet Locks knelt down next to the victim and struggled to retrieve something from under the body. I approached with a small smirk. "No worries, sweetheart, don't stress yourself." I said. "Please, allow me."

"Don't call me 'sweetheart'." she commanded sternly before stepping aside. I saw what she had been trying to grab; a small white cloth. With some effort, I managed to pull it out. An odd smell radiated from it, so I took a whiff to determine what it was, and immediately regretted it.

"C-Crikey!" I exclaimed, holding the cloth away from myself. "Someone went a little overboard with the chemicals!"

"Chemicals...?" Violet Locks repeated. "Just what is it?"

"No clue, but don't take a smell of it. I feel real woozy all of a sudden..." I stumbled slightly, my vision starting to blur. Before I knew it, I'd passed out, right there and then.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Detective Smyth...!"

A feminine voice was crying my name, which made my eyes slowly open. Dakota was knelt next to me, a deep frown on her lips. "Are you alright?" she asked. "Detective Kirigiri reported that you collapsed."

I stood up with a sigh, shaking my head to get rid of any tiredness that I still felt. "What did she do with that cloth?" I asked. "The damn thing made me keel over..."

"She sent it and the suspect to be scientifically examined for traces of chloroform." Dakota explained. "We should have the results back at any moment, although I think it's painfully obvious that the cloth was covered in the sleep-inducing drug."

"Ace!" I grinned. "So if Upchurch was drugged at the time of the murder, it's safe to say he didn't do it! Then we can wrap up!"

"... Yes, indeed..." Dakota agreed, nodding slowly. "Although... don't you find their presence at the investigation strange, sir?"

"How many times, Dakota?" I sighed. "I always say you can just call me Manitoba."

"That's not the point, SIR." Dakota replied sternly. "The point is that Detective Kirigiri and her 'assistants'... them being here is rather out of place."

"What makes you figure that?" I asked, sliding my hands into my pockets.

Although before I could get any kind of response, the pink haired ankle biter came hopping up to us with a large grin on her face.

"Mr. Manitoba!" Candyfloss cried, bouncing. "The results have come back! Miss Detective wants to see you about them!"

"... We'll be right over." I said with a curt nod. Candyfloss smiled was about to go running back until I placed a hand on her shoulder. "Walk with us. Don't go anywhere on your own. Understood?"

"Y-Yes, Mr. Manitoba..." Candyfloss muttered, looking worried. I hated to see her worry like that, but this was the best way to keep her safe and unharmed. At least Dakota can keep people safe, unlike me...

The three of us eventually arrived at the scene, Violet Locks standing with her hands on her hips. "You certainly took your time." she remarked.

"I was unconscious!" I argued. "What, you people expect me to sleepwalk?!"

Violet Locks sighed and shook her head. "That doesn't matter right now. What matters is that traces of chloroform were detected on the cloth and on Mr. Upchurch's face. This means that the culprit drugged him in order to commit the crime."

"I would have thought that was obvious." Dakota murmured, earning a snigger from me. Ah, Dakota, your classic American sarcasm shines through.

But no matter the ground breaking discoveries or the sarcastic remarks, I still hadn't been able to shake away this uneasy feeling. I first got it when I met those guys-

Candyfloss.

I glanced over in her direction as she talked excitedly to Aquaman and understood my instincts immediately. I knew why I felt this nervous, of course, but I had hoped it would have faded away by now.

I rubbed my hands together, quickly putting a plan into action. "Ace, mates. Now let's keep this up while I take the little lady home."

"Huh? She can stay for the investigation, can't she?" Aquaman asked.

"She could, but..." I paused, choosing my words carefully. I couldn't go spilling any ol' beans, now could I?

Luckily, Candyfloss yawned and trotted over to me. "I am a little tired..." she muttered.

"Then I'd better get you home." I said to her. I took her hand and directed her to my car, seating her next to me in the front. I'd heard about some law that says kids can only sit in the passenger seat when they've reached a certain age or above, but since when did Manitoba Smyth care about petty laws like that?

"Thanks for taking me home, Mr. Manitoba..." Candyfloss whispered, her eyes drooping. I gave a curt nod in response. I never was the best around kids, even my own.

"When can I join the investigation again...?" Candyfloss asked. "It was really fun, and I met some new friends..."

"... We'll see." I responded, my grip on the steering wheel growing tighter. "Kids at a crime scene... doesn't fit well with me."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manitoba Smyth is evidence that Total Drama is taking over my life again

Also evidence is the fact that I'm getting a tablet just so I can get Netflix and watch Total Drama

If any of you know what Total Drama is then take a virtual cookie

AceAttorneyFan over and out!