Chapter Three

"Your parents are sleeping." I confirm in a whisper. He nods, still cringing at this wild idea of mine, and I shut the back door behind us, making sure it makes no sound. A gust of wind greets us, and I run outside towards the neighborhood soccer field. He follows, and the wind picks up, carrying the leaves on the ground upwards. I take a handful of leaves and throw it towards him, but the leaves are immediately swept away.

"Come here!" I yell, squinting to avoid debris from the windy air.

He runs towards me, and I grab his hand. I laugh out loud, and eventually he relaxes and lets me pull him forward. We walk for a bit, dimly lit up by the surrounding streetlights.

"Close your eyes!" I say through and wind, and I see him laugh and close them.

"You're absolutely crazy!" he yells back, and I squeeze his hand tighter, walking backwards so I can watch him smiling and stumbling behind me. The wind causes my hair to fly in my face, and I soon give up pushing it out of my eyes with my open hand.

"Can I open my eyes now?" Adam asks.

"Nope," I say, and grasp his other hand. I hold his hands as tight as I can and start to run around in a circle. He quickly understands what I'm doing and runs with me. Adam and I spin and laugh for about a minute, until I let go of his hands, and he flies back into the field, landing in the grass, laughing and rubbing his back.

"Are you okay?!" I yell at the top of my lungs.

"You threw me back!" He laughs and I run up to him, helping him up.

"You can open your eyes now," I say, and he stares at me. Wisps of his chocolate hair fly everywhere, and I reach to brush them out of his face, but he grabs my hand.

"Okay, lets walk," he says with a small smile, shifting his grab to a gentle grasp. I smile back and nod.

We walk across the field, in silence, Adam leading. Occasionally, I squeeze his hand, mostly to make sure he hasn't fallen asleep. We stop at the opening to the forest. I come here sometimes to write, but I've never really stayed here for a long time.

It's so dark right now, but, hand in hand, we march into the woods.