Daddy's Little Girl

"Heehee! Haha haha! Come on, Daddy, let's go!" Joyful, little six year old Autumn Skylar giggles bursting through the back door, her golden hair flying through the wind. She hops on her small, blue tricycle and she and her dad ride up to the ice-cream place just around the corner.

"Come on, Daddy, hurry up we're almost there!" Autumn exclaims.

"You know one of these days I'm going to beat you, Dingdong," he jokes.

"Oh yeah? Well look at me I'm almost there!" They race to the end of the street where Kristoff's Corner is. They have always gone there, just the two of them. Autumn always orders the chocolate and vanilla swirl and Michael, her dad, always orders a hot fudge sundae. They go there and get ice-cream and sit there and chat for an hour or two, then go back home. She has no worries.

Tonight, Michael has something on his mind about Autumn. He can't seem to let it go.

"Kiddo I want to talk to you about something," her wide grin turns into a faint smile.

"What is it Daddy? Is it about Mommy?" Her mom, Amber Lewis, lives in St. Louis, Missouri. Michael lives in Belleville, Illinois with Autumn's step mom, Katrina. Amber and Michael were never married, they split up when little Autumn was just three.

"No. Everything is fine with your mom, but I wanted to talk about when you grow up."

"Why Daddy? I already know I want to be, a Vet. I love animals and I want to make sure they're safe. I want to take care of them and I-" he cuts her off.

"I don't mean to cut you off sweetie but," he pauses and sips his drink. "When you grow up, to be a teenager, there are going to be times when you get mad at me, you're going to want to run away or tell me to go you know where," she giggles. "Please try to understand that your daddy is trying as hard as he can. If you ever need anything come to your pop. Or if you're uncomfortable talking to me talk to Katrina. I love you kid, Daddy loves you right?" His famous line, 'Daddy loves you right?' He says it everyday.

"Right!" Cheerful Autumn smiles. 'Why would I ever be mad at Daddy?' Autumn thinks. 'I love him so much and I have so much fun with him, I know most teenagers get mad at their dads, but I know for sure that I will NEVER EVER get mad at him. We will stay like this forever. Playing pool and playing outside is so much fun, I don't ever want to stop that, and I will never ever let it happen.'