Chapter Eight

Katniss' POV:

I groan as soon as I wake up. Peeta is on the edge of the bed. He says nothing. I look into his eyes. "Peeta can't talk for a few minutes. He had a type of pain medication inserted. We won't be able to understand him if he talks now. His lips and mouth are numb," Annie mumbles. I nod. Peeta grabs my hand. I grin and blow him a kiss with my free hand. His eyes light up.

"Katniss. Do you want to hold Rye?" Effie asks. I nod as she passes my son to me. I kiss his head. He is growing up way too fast. So is Willow. She is in 1st grade with 5th and 6th grade reading levels. It's amazing. Rye starts to cry. Mom hands me a bottle. I sit him up and feed him the bottle. My family is happy.

(3 month time skip because I can't think of anything)

I sink onto the sofa. The house is quiet. Willow is at school. Peeta is at the new bakery. It was finished last month. Plutarch hired the best construction team from the Capitol to build it. It was finished in days. Peeta is there during the week. Business is booming. He always takes the weekend off so he can enjoy all of us. Rye is a year old now. He's crawling and trying to walk. Rye sleeps very little now, like me. But I'm 26 weeks pregnant with triplets. I think he understands. I put him in his crib 20 minutes ago. He's been sleeping for 20 minutes.

Suddenly I hear a knock on the door. I struggle to get up and walk to the door. Ben is standing there. He comes in and sits on the back of the couch, "Katniss. I've spoken with your Mom and Haymitch, but I need to speak with you. I want to marry Prim, but I need your blessing." I nod, "Of course! You have my blessing, Benji. Do you have a ring?" He shakes his head.

"Hang on," I hurry to my room and grab a ring that is special to my heart, "My father gave this to me. He told me to give it to the man that I think she will spend her life with. I think that man is you Benji. Dad had found it in the Hob the day before the accident that took his life. The band is a pair of primroses twisted together. The blossoms hold a ruby, Prim's favorite gem. She's never seen it. Dad never showed her. I've had it all these years and I never showed her. Don't tell her where you got it. Just tell her it's one of a kind, like her."

Benji nods. I hand him the ring. "I plan on taking her to the bakery to do it. I'll propose when we are finished eating, right outside on the beautiful patio, under the stars," Ben smiles. I nod. He hurries out of the house after he finishes.

On the monitor, Rye starts to cry. I walk upstairs and grab him out of his crib. I sit in the rocking chair and cuddle my son. He babbles. "You are growing up too fast, honey. You are starting to look like Daddy. Your hair is starting to get blonde. But you will always be Mama's little baby boy. Don't forget that. I love you, Rye," I kiss his head gently. He smiles and pats my large stomach. His face changes. He looks confused. "Mama is bringing you new brothers and sisters. They are growing in my tummy," I tell him. He smiles again and kisses my stomach. "Good boy. You are going to be a good big brother."

"Katniss! WHERE ARE YOU?" I hear Johanna yell downstairs. "I'm in Rye's room! Come on up!" I shout. I hear running on the stairs. She comes running in the room, "Seth got hurt! He's at the hospital! In the ER with Willow and Kat! Alder was working in the ER when he called me and said Seth, Willow and Kat were brought in!" I get up and grab Rye's pacifier. Jo takes him from me as we go downstairs. I grab my purse and the diaper bag as Jo takes Rye to the car and puts him in his car seat. I climb in the passenger seat as Jo starts the car. We hurry to the hospital. When we get there, I grab Rye and the two bags.