Chapter 8

It's only been a week and we haven't hung out outside of school or even gone on a date yet. Lucas stopped bothering her and she's friends with some girl in her third period.

I'm late to lunch because I had to pee, and when I walk in he cafeteria, I know something is wrong.

She's in her usual seat, but her head is down, she has a hoodie on, and the hood is up.

My eyebrows crease.

The guys are trying to talk to her.

I walk up to the table.

"She won't tell us what's wrong, she just keeps shaking her head." Mark says.

Worried, I sit down.

I hesitate for a second and pull down her hood.

She starts shaking her head to get me to stop, but I start running my fingers through her hair.

"What's wrong?" I ask gently. She shakes her head. "Come on. Tell me."

"It's nothing." She mumbles.

"It's something." I say.

She sighs and lifts her head.

"I'm fine." She says. "I just forgot to do something so I feel really anti-social."

"Oh." I say.

I know exactly what she forgot to do.

We hardly ever kiss. We're just not comfortable enough, yet.

Which is okay. We don't need to rush. I kiss her forehead.

I've never dated someone as long as I've dated Cam.

It's only been a week.

"I have to talk to you." She says.

"Okay."

She stands up and starts to walk.

Confused, I follow her.

She stops just outside of the cafeteria.

It's completely open so everyone can still see us, but they can't hear us.

Her eyes are filled with tears.

My eyebrows creased.

"What's wrong?"

She takes a deep breath.

"Vanessa and Lucas told me last period that you slept with Vanessa Monday afternoon."

It's Monday.

Last Monday we started dating.

"I don't want to believe you would do that..." tears slide down her cheeks.

I start shaking my head.

"No. I didn't." I wipe her tears away with my thumb. "I wouldn't."

People are staring, but I ignore them.

They can see her tears.

"You promise?" she sniffles.

"I promise." I nod. "Never believe anything they say. Vanessa is jealous and Lucas is trying to fuck with your head without bullying you."

"Okay." She smiles a little, and then she hugs me.

I hug her tightly.

"Is something else bothering you?" I ask, pulling away.

"No." she says. "I'm okay."

"Okay." I smile.

"Well..." she grabs my hand. "I told my Dad and brother about us and my Dad refuses to let me out of the house until I bring you over for dinner.