Chapter 12

CHANNING'S POV

Fuck it. When I turn eighteen, I'm dropping out. I hate school and everything about it.

It's been two months. It's March thirteenth. I turn eighteen on the nineteenth.

I've been grounded since January.

I don't even care anymore.

It's Sunday and I'm lying on my bed. It's still snowing outside. I've got a hoodie on and a pair of sweatpants.

"CHANNING!" Mom yells from downstairs.

Irritated, I get up and wander down there.

Cam is here.

My whole family is here.

Aunt's, Uncle's, my cousin Charles, who goes by Charlie, he's my best friend. I love Charlie.

I have a feeling this isn't a happy family reunion.

Cam does not look happy.

The younger people here are Riley and Ryan. Charlie and I are the same age. Charlie turned eighteen on the twenty first. He's younger by two days. He and I were planned and we were supposed to grow up together, but when I was ten and the twins were nine, Dad got a job in Utah and we moved from Ohio.

We've been here since.

"Cammie?" Mom asks.

She takes a deep breath.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"You know exactly what I mean. Have you done any English?"

I shrug, rubbing the back of my neck.

My parents haven't asked me about it once.

"That's not an answer, Channing." She crosses her arms.

"She's like her mother." Aunt Jamie whispers.

Mom and Aunt Jamie are twins. My family is my grandparents, Jessica, my mom, and then Aunt Jamie. Then their husbands, so Dad and Uncle Jerry, and then Charlie, me, Riley, and Ryan. That's it. Everyone else lives too far. Dad's family lives too far.

"She's gonna be a great wife for him." Mom giggles to her sister.

"Well, that's the only one I'm getting."

"Alright, okay, let's see it."

"See what?"

"The English. Pull it up."

"Cam," I sigh.

"Pull it up." She repeats.

She really is like my Mom.

It doesn't make me mad though.

I sigh loudly and go upstairs and get my laptop.

I pull up the program and hand her my laptop.

"Nothing. You've done nothing! You have two and a half months!"

"I'm aware!" I say. She's starting to piss me off and I know we're about to argue.

"Now, nobody here seems to believe me, but I know exactly what you're waiting for." She says, setting my laptop on the coffee table.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"Your birthday. You're waiting until Saturday, and then you're going to drop out."

I shrug.

"Channing, are you fucking kidding?" Uncle Jerry asks.