Chapter 2 - Flashback: The Burial

-Third Person-

It had been a few days since the occurrences in Mystic Falls. Elizabeth drove down the road, Kols' body in the seat next to her.

"It's ok, Kol. I have the perfect spot to put you – the place where we were all at our happiest." She said, a few tears leaking out as she looked at the grey and veiny body of her deceased friend. She drove into the outskirts of New Orleans.

"Mikael drove us from here, and killed those who we held dear. However, we all loved it here so, you especially, so I figured it would only be right to entomb you here – at least until I figure out if anything can be done to fix this mess." Elizabeth whispered as she got out of the car, and got the shovel.

The emotionless vampire didn't want to chance going into the actual city, because she had heard some time back that the witches and vampires were warring in the city, and though she was emotionless, she was not stupid. A war between species was something she wanted no part in. But she figured that if she could lay Kol to rest just inside city lines, it would be more or less the same.

As she finished the grave, she through the shovel to the side and went back to the car. She grabbed Kol carefully and carried him to the grave. She laid his body down gently, her humanity leaking through with every move, until she was full-blown sobbing. But she didn't care for now – she need this grief for a little while. As she covered her friend in dirt, the sobs wracked her body. Once she was done, she pulled the flowers out and laid them on top, kneeling beside the grave.

"Kol, I promise you that you will not ever be forgotten. I will not only find a way to bring you back, but I will also make those who put you in this grave pay for what they have done." she whispered hoarsely, choking on her tears. She took his baseball bat, the one he loved to torture people with and stuck it into the ground, a marker for his grave. Lastly, she laid newspaper over the mound of dirt, to try to prevent grass and weeds from growing, so she could find it again, and to hopefully deter other people and animals away.

She looked at the home-made grave mournfully, sad that this was the little she could offer her best friend – for now at least.

"I love you, Kol. We will be together again soon." she whispered.

"Sooner than you think, sweetheart." came a voice.

"Kol." she gasped, turning in a circle. She saw nothing, and shook her head.

"I must be losing my mind." she whispered.

"Maybe, but you did hear me. I got a little witchy help. Helps to know dead witches who still owe you a favor." came the disembodied voice.

"Kol." the vampire breathed, closing her eyes.

"It's me, darling. Think of me as your subconscious, vocalized so only you can hear." came the cheeky reply.

The living vampire chuckled as she wiped her tears. "Fantastic. So I look like a loon. You know what? I don't even care. As long as I have you." she sighed.

The dead Original laughed. "Always and forever, Lizzie."

"Always and forever." Elizabeth said, before smiling at the grave once more, giving the switch a quick flip, and getting back into her car.

"Where to now?" asked the voice of her dead friend.

"Wherever the road takes us." Lizzie replied, before starting the car and tearing off back towards the road.

A/N: Sorry this took so long. For some reason, I wanted to upload both stories at the same, and I was struggling with "Falling", so this has been ready for at least a week. Please don't be too mad... 

So this was a quick flashback scene – I thought that it would be nice to see Lizzie burying Kol and finding out where his voice is coming from. A sad chapter, but a good reference point – and something I felt was missing in the last book, and was necessary. It also will help with a future plot point that I am thinking of.

Also, as a reminder, I would be deeply grateful if you would nominate me or my books for the Fanfiction Awards. (shameless begging...)

Hope you enjoyed!! Until next time!! :) xoxo