Chapter 40 ~ Harry

Day 3
12:48 PM

The hovercraft came and took Caleb's body yesterday morning.

I hardly knew him. He was a friend, but only for a week. It shouldn't hurt, but it does. I miss him.

And I'm not the only one who does. Tris is crushed. It's getting tiresome, listening to her sobs. I don't know how it feels for her; of course I've had loved ones die before, but never a sibling, obviously. I wonder if it feels similar to having a friend die. Maybe it feels completely different.

Four is trying to help Tris cope, which means Ron and I are kind of getting ignored. We've been sitting a ways from them, just talking at the table. We've been ignoring the subject that's really on our minds, but Ron finally brings it up.

"Do you think we really should've let Hermione go?" Ron asks. I look at him. He's always had a thing for her, despite their dramas.

I look down. Of course I think we shouldn't have let her go. It was the stupidest thing to do.

"No," I say. "We should've made her stay."

"I'm worried about her."

"Me too."

"I wonder if she's worried about us," Ron says.

"Probably. We should be more worried, though," I say. I look at him. "She's alone."

"She needs allies in order survive," Ron says. "And we both know her. She won't find any. No one will ally with someone who only got a seven."

"Well, Tris and Four allied with us, and we got five and six," I say.

"Yeah, that was just because of Caleb, though. And now he's dead," he replies. The sound of Caleb's name sends a new wave of sadness over me.

I can't reply; I just shake my head.

After awhile Ron suddenly leans close to me. "Do you think we should leave them-" he jerks his head towards Tris and Four "-and go find her?"

I study Tris and Four. Now that Caleb is gone, they're strangers. I hardly know either one, and I think they want to get rid of us, too. Caleb knit us together; now he's gone.

I look back at Ron and nod.

"When?"

"Let's take watch tonight. We'll leave then," I say.

He looks over at them, and then back at me. "Should we kill them when we leave?" he says quietly.

"We don't really have a reason to," I say. "Caleb wouldn't want that. We'll just leave. They'll never know what happened to us." He nods.

"Just act casual until then," I say in a normal voice. He nods again.

Four suddenly comes up by us and sits by me at the table. I look at him, startled.

"I'm thinking we should go. We need to hunt," he says abruptly. "Do either one of you know how."

"Um, briefly," I say stupidly. Of course I don't know how to hunt.

He nods. "Okay. Let's set down this tent." He stands and exits the tent. I notice Tris is already out, too. I exchange a look with Ron and leave the tent myself.

Us three set down the tent in silence, while Tris watches from a far with red eyes.

I watch as Ron and Four stuff it into the bag together. Four starts gathering up our other supplies. I sit down, suddenly feeling drained.