Chapter 2

The café was busy tonight, just as I feared it would be. I worked at small café on a corner as a waiter, my misdirection, like at school, had become entertainment for the staff and customers who promoted me as the magi waiter. It didn't bother me, I enjoyed the smiles and laughs as people would jump in fright when I asked them for their orders or their food appeared almost magically in front of them. I ducked my way through the crowded room, expertly avoiding customers and other servers with an ease acquired of being unnoticed for so long, when a flash of green caught my eye. A tall man with stunning emerald hair and matching eyes was sitting in a corner table, a laptop open in front of him as he sipped on a cup of tea. I was sure I had seen him before but couldn't quite put my finger on it. As if sensing my attention he looked up from his screen to meet my eyes. I was so shocked that I didn't notice one of the new girls spin around quickly and the tray she was carrying of empty cups slammed into my head sending me crashing onto the ground with a shower of porcelain and glass. I felt a sharp pain and looked down to see a deep gash on my palm.

"Oh goodness Kuroko I am so sorry! You're bleeding!" cried the girl kneeling down to see if I was okay.

I felt everyone staring at me and felt a blush rise to my cheeks as I waved away her concerns.

"I'm okay, it's just a small cut," I replied getting to my feet, grabbing my serving towel to cover my palm. The manager rushed into the room, taking in the pale new girl, broken cups and my red face in an instant and took charge.

"Kuroko go to the back and wash up, Sakura see to his first aid and Yuki clean this up instantly."

Ducking my head to hide my face I rushed to the back but as I did I glanced back at the green haired man. He was no longer sitting, instead he was on his feet looking from me with worry and about the room, a phone to his ear talking to whoever was on the end so quickly I couldn't read his lips.

Sitting on the stool I flinched as a young woman with black hair tied back in a bun disinfected my cut before wrapping it in a bandage.

"Thank you Sakura."

She smiled down at me as she put the first aid kit just as my manager walked in.

"How are you Kuroko? I'm sorry about what happened, guess I need to explain to Yuki not to move so quickly and lead with the trays again."

I shook my head at him, "no need sir, it was my fault I wasn't paying enough attention."

The manager pursed his lips before looking down at me, real worry in his eyes.

"I should send you home."

Again I shook my head and I heard him sigh. He was one of the few people who knew about my money problems and accepted me and my all my quirks without question.

"Very well Kuroko, but I want you behind the counter tonight, you can make the drinks."

Standing up I bowed deeply in gratitude to him before heading back out.

I stretched my back out with a deep sigh. It was finally ten o'clock, the shop was closed and the cleaning was almost done. I looked up as the back door opened to see the manager leading the girls out to their cars, it was too late for them to go out alone and the manager was a kind man who always looked after his staff. They all called goodbyes, knowing I was still mopping the floor before the door slammed shut behind them. I had finished the front of the store when the door banged open again and I heard the manager calling me. I walked into the back to see him putting on his jacket, his keys in his hand.

"I'm sorry to ask this of you since you injured yourself today but I just got a call from Hana, the baby has a fever and she wants to head over to the hospital."