|| chapter eight ; night life ||

|| september 13, 2012 ||

Calum ran his fingers through his hair a few times before examining his appearance in the mirror. Satisfied with the way he looked, Calum picked up his phone from where it lay by the side of the sink and scrolled through various social media feeds, as he padded back out into the open plan space and took a seat on his unmade bed, while he waited on his friends.

From his nightstand, the iPod vibrated obnoxiously against the wooden top with a message alert. Calum reached over to unplug the device from its charger, and tossed the cable to the carpet without switching of off at the outlet first.

Calum had text Tegan almost every day for nearly a month. Sometimes he forgot that he was pretending to be someone else, and it hurt realising that he couldn't make her happy anymore.

Tegan ; hola

Louis ; hey you

Tegan ; time zones suck

Louis ; i know

Louis ; you'll have just woken up and i'm going out partying

Tegan ; what's the occasion

Louis ; does there need to be one ?

Louis ; i'm joking

Louis ; going out for drinks for a friends bday

Tegan ; i'll bet drinks isn't all you're going out for

Louis ; cheeky

Tegan ; give me your best chat up line

Louis ; i don't have one

Louis ; chat up lines are so cheesy

Tegan ; true

Louis ; listen i've go to go

Louis ; i'll text you later

Tegan ; okay

Tegan ; have fun!

Tegan ; and i hope you get laid

Calum chuckled to himself as he read over the last few messages before tucking the iPod away into the top drawer of his nightstand where he knew it would be safe.

Grabbing his jacket from the hook by the door, Calum patted the pockets quickly to ensure his key was there, before letting himself out. He was greeted by Louis Tomlinson and Niall Horan out in the hallway.

"Happy birthday, mate," Calum said to the blonde boy, clapping him on the back before slipping his arms into the sleeves of his jacket.

"Thanks," Niall chuckled.

As the three of them walked down the four flights of stairs to the buildings entrance, Calum noted the lack of faces.

"I thought there were more people coming, no?" Calum enquired, holding the door open and letting his two friends out before himself.

The autumnal breeze was cold in comparison to the warmth of the building, and Calum dug his hands into his pockets and pulled his jacket tighter around his torso. The weather and temperature was far from what Calum was used to anyway, but his lack of season appropriate clothing was also a factoring issue.