|| chapter twelve ; moving day ||

|| may 12, 2013 ||

"Is that the last box?" Tegan asked the removal guy as he struggled to find floor space to place down the box he was holding.

"No, miss," he shook his head. "There's still about another five."

As the removal guy left the new apartment in search of the remaining boxes, Tegan looked around the space littered with boxes and furniture - she couldn't remember neither her nor Luke packing so much.

With her son held on her hip and the fresh start she needed looming, all Tegan could do was sigh in content as she leaned against the kitchen counter and looked around the apartment.

"Wow," Luke pulled his friend from her thoughts, as he gazed at all the boxes in horror. "Is this all our stuff?"

"Yes," Tegan confirmed, with a sigh. "Why did you have to pack so much Lucas?"

"I don't remember packing this much," Luke scratched his head, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Must be all your hair products," Tegan commented, knowing it would get a rise out of her best friend.

"Oh, yes," Luke agreed sarcastically, walking towards her and reaching out to boop Kian's nose with his finger gently. "Your mom thinks she's funny - she's not."

Kian let out a small gurgle of laughter like he completely understood what Luke was saying and reached out to grab at the front of his shirt. Luke took the small boy from Tegan because he had lost interest in his mother for the time being.

Kian loved Luke to pieces, and the feeling was mutual. Luke was glad that he was able to fill the void that was Calum, and support Tegan like Calum couldn't either. The only thing that was missing, was the relationship that Luke longed for with Tegan - he loved her as much more than a friend, and she had no idea.

"Sarah called to say she would be here later, just to finalise the rent and stuff," Luke diverted his attention from Kian momentarily, to enlighten Tegan about the intentions of their real estate agent.

Three removal men hustled through the door one after the other, each carrying a box that seemed to be bigger than the one that came before it.

"That's them all," one of the men said, once the final boxes had been set down.

"Thanks, man," Luke acknowledged, slipping the guy a few dollar notes of appreciation.

The removal team left the apartment and Luke turned to his best friend, Kian still quite happy in his arms. Tegan smiled.

"Well," Luke started, motioning around the space with his free arm. "This is it."

"Thank you."

"For what?" Luke asked.

"For finding this place," Tegan shrugged. "For making the stupid promise we made as kids actually happen."

"Hey, I told you we'd move out together one day - you just didn't believe me," Luke said, matter of fact. "Where do you want to start with these boxes?"

Both Tegan and Luke had been collectively unpacking for nearly three hours before their real estate agent visited as promised.