|| chapter thirty ; wine & dine ||

×

|| june 29, 2015 ||

×

"So I dropped Kian off at your mom's this afternoon," Tegan started, dipping a French fry into ketchup as she spoke into her phone.

"That's fine, I'll go round and pick him up on my way home," Luke said. "I can't belive they called you in on such short notice."

"Someone called in sick, " Tegan shrugged. "I don't mind. Booked full of reservations tonight, so it should go quick."

"What time will you be home?"

"I don't know yet. No later than eleven, I reckon," she sighed. Luke always seemed to ask her the same questions about work, it was almost as if he never listened whenever she talked about it. "You don't need to wait up on me."

"I was thinking we could maybe start looking over some wedding stuff if you're up for it," Luke suggested, and Tegan could sense the smile in his voice.

"Yeah. Maybe," Tegan agreed, her response non-commital. "Listen, I need to go, my breaks over so I'll talk to you later. I think there's still a pizza in the freezer if you and Kian want to have that for dinner."

"Okay, baby," Luke nodded, although she couldn't see him. "I love you."

"I love you, too," Tegan murmured in response before she hung up the call and got herself organised.

She put her phone back into her locker and grabbed her cute waitress appron from the table and tied it around her waist again, as she headed back out into the restaurant for the evening shift.

"Table nineteen just sat down, you can take over," Lauren - one of her colleagues - said, as she signed out for her own break. "Looks like a first date to me - and I don't mean to sound unprofessional, but man, the guy is hot."

Tegan laughed and rolled her eyes at her friends comment, heading to the bar to pick up a notepad and pen before making her way towards table nineteen, eager to see the boy who had seemed to have stolen her fellow waitress' heart.

Meanwhile, at table nineteen, Calum Hood studied the menu intently, desprately trying to think of a conversation topic. He didn't want to be on a date, yet there he was. It had been his mother's idea really, she was sick of him sulking about and had a friend with a single daughter of whom she thought would be perfect for her son. Calum didn't quite share the same enthusiasm,  however.

"So your mom way saying about how you studied abroad for a while?" Brooke Richards prompted, and although Calum didn't necessarily want to discuss his time away, he was glad of the ice breaker.

"Yeah, yeah. In England actually," he nodded, relaxing slightly.

"Really? What was it like?" his date asked, taking a genuine interest.

"It was good."

"You don't sound too convinced," Brooke chuckled.

"It just didn't work out for me," Calum admitted. "I'm going to take classes here next semester so that I can be closer to my family and stuff."

Calum had said too much already - more than he had wanted too anyway, he knew that for sure - but before Brooke could ask any more questions, a waitress appeared at his side and broke up the conversation.

"Can I get you guys any drinks just now?"

Both Tegan and Calum noticed each other in the same second, and Tegan kicked herself for not paying more attention in the first place.