Writing Tips

Today, I will be giving y'all tips on writing. Yay!

1. Realistic

There's a border between realistic, and boring. Oh, that was a good first sentence- quote me for that! Anyways, realistic is composed of getting hurt (aka, FEELING STUFF), learning, etc. And boring happens when you talk about your character brushing her teeth or eating and how it tastes so good (I know that's hypocritical if you've read my book, The Orbiting Sun, but we've all made that mistake!). So, don't cross that line- or you'll find hate comments. Because, just sayin', people don't want to read about their lives- no! they want to read about how the girl gets the guy, or how our protagonist saves the day. I think.

2. He said, she said, who said???

So, you know when you're reading dialects and sometimes your mind automatically skips "Diana said," or "he said it sadly?" Well, duh. Because that's how the author crossed the line of boring. You have to keep your writing crisp. If it's a conversation between two, just add remarks that the reader will just have to know this character is speaking, whilst the other isn't. Here's an example:

"Icecream?" The lady asked me.

"Yes, please. What are your flavors?"

"Strawberry, vanilla and chocolate."

"I'll have the chocolate, thank you."

Crisp, but yes, the plot line was boring. But, meh! It's just an example. Back off!

(Do you want ice cream now? Or perhaps chocolate? Tee- hee!)

3. Detail

So, I know your grammar teacher says not to tell, but sometimes using your five senses isn't as fun. I guess I'm saying don't go into serious detail, like how the girls' polka dotted dress was red. No. Some people actually like to wonder what color it is... Or how big the polka dots are. Also, don't give me 10 paragraphs on how the sheets were just lovely with the intricate patterns and vibrant colors. Because, there was a time I read a book (not telling what book that was!) and for a whole chapter (which was about 16 pages!), she talked about her quaint, new room.

4. Feelings

I am not saying that your character shouldn't feel, but I am saying that she shouldn't feel too much- unless it's a disorder of hers/his. Really, I can't explain it. All I can say is this:

The stranger entered my room. Curiosity and anger pulsed through me. I wanted to stab him, right there and then!!!! Who was this intruder? What makes him feel like he can enter my room with absolutely no permission?!? Then, I realize it was just my dad.

See? #Emotional

5. Dialect (I promise this is my last note on dialect!)

All I want to say is that; make your characters talk like they're from the time period you put them in.  You can't say "OH MY GOSH! That's sups gorgeous! Oh, Bloomingdales? Tysm!" if your character lives in the 18 century. Or, "Wherefore art thou Rose?" In the 21st century- unless they're trying to talk like Shakespeare. Also, don't say:

"You are so pretty, Minnie!"

"Thank you, Lillianne. You are quite becoming yourself."

"Oh, you are such a doll, Minnie!"

Do you understand me? There are such things as contractions!  You're, they're, etc.! Also, people don't call each other by their names much in conversation.

Well, that was it guys! Hope you enjoyed that! And remember, don't feel bad if you have made these mistakes in the past- you're (contraction!) still learning! But if you make these mistakes afterwards, you're dead to me. Jk! Toodles!