Day 3: Picture Perfect Night

• Dedicated to Stefan

I checked my phone; it was 10:25 in the morning. He was 25 minutes late. Tapping my foot impatiently on the ground, a couple seated at the far end of the coffee shop caught my attention. The girl was looking at the guy seated in front of her. Her eyes filled with desire and passion. They were holding hands, lost in the gaze of each other. I envied them, it was so unfair. They were so in love with each other. They were happy.

                I noticed a familiar blonde guy walk in the door. He grabbed the seat right beside me and sat. My jaw fell open. His blue eyes were staring right through mine.

                "Riley sent me. I'm sorry, he couldn't make it." Connor said.

                My heart sank, it was filled with disappointment. "What happened?"

                "He needed to do some stuff for tonight. Oh, speaking of tonight, he was going to invite you to Toby's party tonight."

                "Toby's birthday?" I asked, completely clueless.

                "Tonight at the house, are you coming?”

                "Uh, yeah, sure!"

                Connor's eyes were filled with excitement. "Alright I'll see you then."

                Before he could stand up and walk away, I caught his arm. When he saw my reaction, his eyes filled with worry. "What's wrong, Chloe?"

                 "It's—it’s nothing. Please don't leave me." I started sobbing. 

                Should I tell him? Maybe he'll help me. Maybe he'll understand. Maybe I won’t be alone. NO! I thought. This is my problem not his. I shouldn't bother people with my own problems just because I can't find a solution to it. I was more than this, better than this. I was stronger.

                Connor wrapped his arms around my shoulder and squeezes it tight. He didn't say a word until I stopped sobbing. 

                "I'm sorry." I could feel my voice was shaking.

                "Come, I'll show you something." I didn't have the voice to protest and clearly he wouldn't take no for an answer.

                After 15 minutes, we arrived at what looked like a studio. We took the elevator to the 9th floor. Connor grabbed a key from his pocket and opened a door. I saw a couple of guitars standing beside a drum set in the middle of the inner room which was divided by a huge glass wall. It was a recording studio.

                He gestured for me to have a seat behind the glass door while he went inside and grabbed a guitar. He started playing a song. That Should Be Me by Justin Bieber! I thought. But why?

                His voice was so wonderful that I forgot all about what was going to happen. I couldn't help but give in to the rhythm of his voice. The vibration of his strumming was just over coming. I felt the music within me. We were at one until I noticed Connor and lost focus.

                "...did you forget all the plans that you did with me, cause baby I didn't..." He sang.

                His eyes were filled with sadness. His face may not have gave out any emotion but I have a feeling he's still hurting for whatever it is bothering him. I could sense the fresh heartbreak in his soul. I wonder what happened to him.