Epilogue: One year later

• Dedicated to Patch and Nora

Riley was sitting at the sofa in the living room with his laptop and guitar, trying to take his mind off that nightmare from last night. He felt uneasy about it. He rarely has bad dreams and whenever he does, it means something bad is going to happen. It's like the angels has a way of communicating with him regarding the future.

"I was looking for you," said Connor while walking down the stairs. "What's that? Are you making a new song?"

Riley shrugged. "Seems like it."

"Don't tell me it's another song for her?" He looked at me suspiciously as if he already knew the answer.

"What makes you think all of my songs are for her?"

Connor raised his eyebrow at him. He was right—always right to be exact. He'd been writing about her for about a year now. They even made a cover of "When I Was Your Man" by Bruno Mars because Riley thought he could relate to the song. He even almost cried making the cover. But somehow, he's doing better now that they're on tour.

Ding dong! Riley and Connor looked at each other, confused; they weren’t really expecting someone this early in the morning. Who could that be? Riley thought. He stood up and walked toward the door. His heart was racing and his palms were sweating. Was he actually nervous?

Nora and Austin stood behind the door. He felt a bit disappointed—he didn't know why. Maybe he expected someone else. From the bottom of his heart, he knew that he was really expecting someone else. Maybe that someone could be her. He immediately pushed the thought away. No, she's gone. But he didn't seem to believe it. He's still hoping she'd come back.

"Hi," Nora said. "I just want to give you these." Nora held out an envelope and a folded piece of paper. His heart jumped when he saw the envelope. Somehow he knew who it is from.

When Nora and Austin left, he immediately rushed to the sofa placing the items on the tea table in front of them—ignoring Connor who was asking about the envelope. He sat up straighter than usual, eyeing the envelope and the folded paper. He decided he should open the envelope since he's instincts were saying so.

My dearest Riley,

I've been watching you since I arrived 3 months ago. I've never seen you more alive. I'm glad that you're finally moving on and happy. There hasn't a day gone by that I hadn't thought of you. It has been hell being away from you. I've missed you so much. It killed me not to be able to touch you.

I still remember how it all began. Even though it only lasted for 3 days, it was three perfect days. Even if I knew it would end, I’ll do it again. I will never ever regret that. I've fallen so helplessly in love with you. You have no idea how fast my heart races when I see you. You made me laugh. You made me cry. You gave me hope. I could hardly remember what life had been like without you. At night, when I lay in bed, I could remember with perfect clarity the low timbre of your laugh, the way your smile curved slightly higher on the right. But it was only with serious effort that I could pick up memories from the previous eighteen years. Maybe because those memories paled in comparison to you. Or maybe because there was nothing good there at all. Honestly, you turned out to be the best thing I almost had. It was like I lived to fall in love with you. You're the closest to Heaven I'll ever be.

I had wished you'll never have to read this. When I think about you and our plans, I feel a desperate aching. Never have I wanted things to turn out right as I do now. But before I leave this world, I need you to know that I haven't been completely honest with you. The last time we met, I told you that I will be to be married to Stef Cipriano but that was a lie. I never told you this because I knew you would talk me out of it and forced me to believe in false hope when I already accepted reality. I had to do what's best for us. The truth will only hurt you that’s why I kept it from you. All of you. However, I didn't want to leave you with anything hidden between us.