Riley's Short Story

• Dedicated to Daniel

A MONTH BEFORE CHLOE’S LETTER TO RILEY

Riley was walking to his car. He grabbed his keys from his pocket and opened the door to the driver’s seat. He sat there for a while looking at the empty seat beside him, remembering how it had used to be her seat.

                Riley had been living in the guilt of letting the love of his life go marry some other dude. He should’ve followed her. He should’ve fought for her. And now it’s too late, all because he was afraid to fight for the only thing that made Riley happy.

                He wondered if she was thinking about him too. He wondered if she was being hunted by the memory of him too. But deep down inside Riley, he knew that there was a slight possibility that all this is happening to her too. Because their love was true, their love was real, their love was magical. And nothing, not even a marriage, can take that away from them.

                Without knowing it, Riley had drove all the way to the only memory of her that he had. To where he first knew that he was so deeply in love with her. Riley stepped out of his car and stood at the edge to the cliff in the abandoned park where he used to take Chloe to. This was where they went on their first date. This was also where Riley mourned for Chloe when she first broke up with him. This place was filled with memories of her.

                The sun was setting as Riley’s phone rang. He fished his phone from his back pocket and saw that Connor was calling him. Not in the mood, Riley ignored the phone call. Before Riley went back to wherever his mind was, he caught a glimpse of the time. It was already six thirty in the evening. He’d been standing there for about three hours already, lost in the memory of her. Riley didn’t want to leave the place. He wanted to stay there because it was the closest to her he’ll ever get. The closest place to her memory. He could almost sense her around.

                Finally, Riley decided it was time to go because her memory was starting to fade and because Connor had been calling and calling and calling him. On his way to his car, he caught a glimpse of a Blue Audi R8 driving away from the park. It was weird, he thought, because no one ever came here since the accident.

                Before the R8 could disappear within sight, Riley saw the plate number. CACL 18. It wasn’t like any other plate number. Riley had seen it a few times the past few months and only now did he seem suspicious. There was something about that car that made Riley think of her. He shook his head and banish the thought away. It wasn’t possible, she’s in Europe now. He should stop fantasizing her here. He should just move on with his life. But as Riley drove away, in the back of his mind, he thought that what if…