Week 5: Day 1

• Dedicated to Jem

It was Wednesday, a day before I left for Europe. I couldn’t stop thinking about Austin’s party last Friday night. The way his eyes looked at me with sadness. If only I could take away the pain and put a smile on his face. I try to think it was completely necessary for this to happen so that he could move on. I try to think it is for the best. I try to think I was doing this for us. For him.

                “Listen!” Nora said.

                We were driving to the beach for an afternoon picnic. Nora figured out the weather is nice for an outdoor activity and there was a festival in Daytona Beach which Nora thought was perfect. We were driving for about 30 minutes now when the radio announced: the new Before You Exit song is coming up. It was said to be a sad one. Ladies, get your tissues ready.

                What on earth could this be? I thought. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to listen. I thought wrong. I turned the volume up and listened carefully to the sweetness of his voice. At the first few lines I couldn’t help but to smile. I could imagine what happened when I first met him. A picture perfect night, everything goes right until she says “we’re through”. I shivered at the thought of the first time I broke his heart.

                “I think it’s for you.” Nora said.

                I immediately shut her out and listened more closely to the lyrics of the song.  She forgot my name. She took me down when I found out I was just another weekend fling. It was a beautiful mess, but in the end I guess, it didn’t mean a thing. Tears were streaming down my face. If only he knew the real story. I thought. But then what? Would he understand that I did this for the sake of saving him? Would he still love me even if he knew that we could never be together?

                When Nora noticed me crying she immediately turned the radio off in the middle of the song. I glared at her as if to ask why she did it. “What?” She asked.

                “Why’d you do that?” I demanded.

                “Obviously depression is so not you. Get over it.” She sighed. “Oh come on, I’m sorry okay? I was just looking after you.”

                “I still love him, Nora.”

                “You think I don’t know that? We’ve been best friend since like,” She started counting with her fingers then she waved her hands as surrender. “Oh hell all this! We’ve been friends for like forever. What I’m trying to say is that if you really want to move on, you’ve got to stop hurting yourself with all this.”

                I didn’t say anything. Somehow, I know deep down inside she’s right. Secretly, I’m thankful that she turned off the radio. It was stupid to think that it wouldn’t hurt me. Of course it will! Everything about him still hurts me. This is why I couldn’t move on and I know I have to.

                We arrived at the beach in silence thirty minutes later. Austin, Daniel, Sam and Ben were waiting for us, sitting on a blanket near the ocean. Daniel stood up and met me halfway. He held me close to him and I hugged him back. Daniel and I were also best friends and I still do love him. But not like the way I love Riley.

                “Missed me?” Austin said to Nora.

                “Oh just shut up!” Nora kissed Austin passionately.

                It reminded me of Riley. I know it’s rude but I couldn’t quite take my eyes away from them. They share such unique chemistry I can’t stop thinking about Riley. I miss him. I’ve been missing him for the past few days since I told him it was just a weekend fling. I would be lying if I said that I’ve moved on when clearly I haven’t. What is so special about him?