Chapter One, Morning Light.

"I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy, my reality is just different from yours." - Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass.

    I awoke to the sound of a train running on its rails. I shot up in fright and looked around quickly. Four wooden walls painted white surrounded me. I let out a sigh of relief and laid my head back on the wooden floor. Light pushed its way through my window and filled the empty room. I sluggishly stood up and crept over to the door. I opened the door and it growled at me as light poured into the room. Slightly blinded and with sleep still sticking to my mind, I sauntered down the wide hallway and into the place I would now call my living room.

    The living room had a long white couch and two wide windows. A fan spun above me and light bounced off the tan walls. A pillow and a blanket lay on one end of the couch. I stepped into the center of the room and looked around. I stared out the windows and saw my rusted white truck sitting in an asphalt driveway that connected to a gravel road. Trees stood on one side of that road. Large oak and pine trees stood close together and created a thick forest. A white door separated the humid summer air outside and the cool air-conditioned atmosphere in the living room. The wall in front of me had the white couch pulled up to it. The wall behind me didn't have anything but the hallway that linked to it. The wall that led to the kitchen wasn't a wall at all. It had a white two-part door and a bar. The top part of the door was a small window and the door was stuck shut for some reason.

    I walked over to the wooden bar and climbed over it. I set my feet down in the kitchen and walked over to the ice-box. I pulled it open and frigid air wrapped around me. Hairs on the back of my neck stood-on-end and the cold air shocked part of me awake. I looked into the ice-box for anything to tame the beast thrashing around in my stomach. There was a carton of milk and a candy bar wrapping in silver with a piece of notebook paper protecting it. I removed the bar from its icy home and placed it on the marble bar. I unwrapped the note from silver wrapping and laid it flat on the marble bar.

Lukas,

Sorry for leaving without a word, but I was called in early this morning. I won't be back for a few days. My boss wants me to fly to Richmond so that he can show me off. I left some money in one of my bags in the room(the pink one). Also, I left you the internet password and the number of the hotel I'll be staying in. Take care you yourself and school starts in about a week. I'll try to call as often as I can manage.

Love you, Mom.

    It was a matter of time before she had to leave for work. We had spoken about her leaving to attend meetings or flying out of state. Mother and I moved to this little house from Maine. She raised me there in a little apartment for about seven years. Before that, we lived with my father and brother. My mother(at this point in her life) is a writer. From what I've read, she's extremely good. She had been sending her latest work to several agencies and one in Richmond found her out and they said if she moved closer that they would pay for a house and everything. The rest is history. I was homeschooled at the time so it really didn't change my life any. Scratch that, I'm going to attend public school now. The agency moved us to a small town on the border of Virginia and Maryland. Mother was furious that they couldn't move us closer, but beggars can't be choosers.

    Before Mother left we organized the house. We didn't have many things to bring. Some pictures of her, my brother, and me, the white couch, a table that got broken in the move, the clothes that we had, a few blankets and pillows, her desktop and my laptop; both were gifts from her family out west. Everything else was on loan to the bank because after everything that happened with my father we ended up losing a lot. When we started to move the bank wanted my mother to cough up the money, but she ended up giving them a piece of her mind and a few rude gestures. After that, we were left with what was ours. Lucky, though, everything we were missing was already there for us; besides beds. That white couch folded out to a bed. Mother slept there and I preferred the floor.