epilogue - defending Ashton

It was all unexpected when Luke woke up with a good mood on the next day. He was usually grumpy in the morning, always quiet and tired (sometimes he talked but it was mostly to complain about life). Only him and his brothers knew the actual reason why while their parents were confused since dinner on the night before (even though they knew Luke went on a date with Ashton they didn't know about the kisses), the three brothers were exchanging knowing looks and smirks.

Luke ran down the stairs already ready for school instead of being in pyjamas for breakfast. He walked to his mom with a grin and kissed her cheek greeting her right after.

" 'Morning mom." He sat down at the table and started eating his toast.

"Are you sick?" his father asked, putting his mug on the table.

"What? Why are you saying that?"

"Because you're... happy?"

"Isn't that a good thing?"

"I uh I don't know, I actually don't even know."

Luke shrugged and kept eating his breakfast. Ten minutes later he said goodbye to his parents and walked out of the house towards the bus stop. It was kind of cold on that morning, they wanted snow as soon as possible.

Calum was at the bus stop already, he was probably playing some football (=soccer) game on his phone to be entertained. Luke didn't like them that much - he liked Fifa but only Fifa. Luke sat beside his friend and greeted him with a happy voice.

"Still excited because of yesterday's events?" Calum said with a small laugh. He turned off his phone and put it in his pocket giving his full attention to Luke.

"Obviously I am, it doesn't happen everyday!" Luke said "After everything that has been happening and all the pressure it was really good. Nothing will make me sad or angry today."

"It's good that you both admited your feelings and had a good date. I was getting sick of all the whining and complaining."

Luke slapped his arm not knowing what to say "How dare you."

Calum laughed but was silent for a few seconds before speaking "Did you, hum- did you know that Michael went back to smoking?"

Luke furrowed his eyebrows "Yeah, we talked about it the other day. He said he would quit."

"Let's just hope he really quits this time. You know it's always like this - he stops for a few months and the smokes for a month or so."

Before Luke could say anything the bus arrived and they walked to the door, showing their passes. He saw Ashton sitting near the end and looked at Calum who understood and nodded. The boy excitedly walked to where Ashton was and sat beside him.

Ashton had his headphones on and didn't recognise Luke's presence. Luke poked him, making Ashton get scared and slap him. The curly haired boy covered his mouth with both hands looking at Luke with a weird Luke when he started laughing.

"I-I'm sorry, Luke! I got scared and you probably hate me and I-"

"It didn't hurt, don't worry." Luke assured him, giving him a sweet smile "Look, about yesterday-"

"What's up, fag?" a 17 year old guy said.

"P-Please leave us alone."

The boy walked hand-in-hand with a girl to the end of the bus, sitting down. He kept bothering them for a few minutes with papers and mean words. But then he told Ashton to kill himself and Luke lost all of his patience. He got up and threw the last paper he sent them at him.

"Can you please stop?" he said, trying to keep calm.

"Lukey, calm down-"

"No Ash, I'm not going to calm down." Luke said, caressing the boy's cheek.

"Little boy is trying to be tough? And what are you going to do, go home and cry to mummy?" The teen said with a smirk, one of his friends high fived him while others said 'Good job, Kevin'.

"Listen here, Kevin" Luke said, at that point almost everyone on the bus was turned to them "I don't need your comments about anything to be happy, no one does. Ashton likes boys and wearing his clothes, that doesn't make him less than you."

"It's not supposed to be like that, your argument is invalid."

"Why do you even care about it? If something simple as this makes him happy then you don't have to say shit about it. You're what, seventeen? Get a life and some culture because it's obvious that you're far behind what's happening right now. I'm fourteen and I bet I am more mature than you about subjects related to society."

Kevin got up and pointed a finger at Luke "You do not speak to me like that."

"Or what? You're going home and cry to mummy? Get a life, man. Try to be more focused what's happening in your life and leave Ashton - or other people - alone. You might have problems but it doesn't mean Ashton has to suffer with your anger."

The bus arrived to a stop where they had to get out. Luke grabbed Ashton's hand and laced their fingers together, giving a kiss to the boy with a blushing face and a gigantic smile on his face. Luke kissed his cheek and looked at Kevin one last time before walking away.

"I hope you have a nice day, think about what I said."

They got out of the bus and he saw Michael and Calum walking towards them. Both boys were smiling and congratulated Luke for finally saying something. There was still 20 minutes until the bell rung so Calum went to eat something, Michael following behind him.

"Thank you Luke, thank you so much." Ashton said as they hugged, his light pink flower crown on his hand so it wouldn't hurt Luke.

"I want you to be happy with yourself and not worry about what other people say. I want you to be comfortable with yourself." Luke said after they pulled away, looking at Ashton in the eyes "You're beautiful and amazing, it is an honor that I get to see your smile more often."

Ashton smiled and kissed near Luke's mouth, then his cheek. He moved to Luke's ear and whispered.

"You're the reason of it."

THE END.