Blood Tempered: Part 17

The last torch rested in a bracket next to an open cell door. Two of the bandits heaved Olvera's limp form in and shut the heavy oak door. Then the less ugly one, Augin, turned the key that was already fitted into the lock, and hung it on a hook nearby.

Caida watched everyone and took note of everything. The situation had turned abruptly, and he didn't understand what was going on. He needed more information, and since no one was offering him immediate violence, he had decided to adopt a wait and see attitude.

Across from the cell was a small room, barely more than a notch in the wall, but there was a table that stuck out slightly into the corridor loaded with bread, meat and fruit, and two flagons of wine. A bench rested against the corridor wall next to the cell door. The big mercenary, Mung, ripped off a hunk of bread and speared an apple with his dirk. The small, smelly man, who was obviously no warrior, grabbed one of the flagons and held it protectively to his chest, as if fearing someone would try to take it away. Their leader, Korbo, caught Caida's eye and nodded toward the table. Caida shook his head. He walked a few paces down the corridor, crossed his arms, and leaned against the wall, staring off into nothing. Korbo sighed and went to help Augin attack a haunch of beef.

They passed a quarter-hour that way before a large, bejeweled older man finally made an appearance, trailed by the one-armed mercenary.

"Who's this?" he asked Korbo, indicating Caida.

"Sword monk who was traveling with Olvera," the mercenary replied. "I don't think they like each other much, seeing as how they were in the middle of killing each other. Thought you might want to have a chat."

The older man grunted, glanced at the small, smelly one. "Nobody told you to go out on this patrol, Stench."

"Nobody told me not to, either."

"Fine. You can take the first watch, then. I'll talk with you now, Andine. Everyone else, get some sleep. And keep your mouths shut."

"Your odds have doubled, by the way," said Korbo to the man who was apparently his leader on his way out. The man ignored him.

"You, monk. Sit. Let's talk. I am Jaga Khun, and this is my keep."

"In the absence of true rule," Caida replied.

Jaga looked at him, and his heavy brow furrowed. "You don't like mercenaries?"

"Not especially, no."

"If it wasn't for me, trade would all but halt across southern Wyeth. We're no brigands, monk."

Caida shrugged. He was interested in getting information, not discussing the state of Wyeth.

"Why are you here? Why were you traveling with Olvera?"

"Why do you want Olvera?"

Jaga sighed. "This is not going to work, Andine. We'll get nowhere this way. I tell you what, let us trade answer for answer. What is your name?"

"Caida. Why do you want Olvera?"

"Because he has information I need."

"About the Lady Anya?"

"Now, now; it's my turn. Why were you traveling with Olvera?"

"He was traveling with me. Do you know where the lady is?"

"Yes. Why was Olvera traveling with you?"

"I honestly don't know. To betray me, I think. How and why, I don't know. Where is the Lady Anya?"

"She is here. Why do you want her?"

"I was sent to rescue her."

"From what?"

"From you."

Jaga laughed. He laughed so hard tears came. He seemed to have trouble breathing.

"What's so funny?" Caida asked, and it was Arle who answered.

"That witch doesn't need to be saved from anything or anyone, Andine. It's the world that needs to be rescued from her."

Jaga grunted. "My men did not kill those troopers, Andine. She did, all by herself. By the time we got there they were cooling meat. I was told she was a witch. I wasn't told she was a bloodthirsty demon.

"Olvera hired my company to spirit her away from the imperial cohort that was taking her to Ardesh, to keep her safe while Roumney threatened and blustered and gained more favorable terms, both from Ardesh and the empire. Those troopers were supposed to be snoring when we rode up, not decomposing. I am tempted to say the plan changed, but I don't believe the plan was ever what we were told. We are being used, Andine, just as surely as you were." He spread his big, meaty hands and shrugged.

"I don't know what her plan is," he continued, "but no doubt it is bloody, and my company isn't supposed to survive it. She's wrought some foul magics since she's been here."

A cold wind suddenly blew down the stairs. Caida twitched, his hand suddenly seeking his sword for no reason he could articulate.

"You want to know what my plan is, Jaga? Why didn't you simply ask?" Her voice was like silk on stone as it rolled down the corridor. She walked towards them, and the torches sputtered and died as she passed.

"My plan?" she continued. "Death. Destruction. Damnation. A world at war. And in the end, my throne upon a mountain of skulls." She laughed at the look on Jaga's face.

"Come now," she said. "I jest. Why would I want that? Why do you think so ill of me?"

Jaga opened his mouth, shut it. Shook his head.

"Olvera is here, is he? I'll want to talk to him. And to you Andine. The rest of you go. Korbo, I'll be wanting my money back, but please keep the knife. Heirus, wait for me in my chambers. Touch nothing. Jaga Khun, wait for me in the great hall. And try not to scheme while we're apart. Go."

They went. Caida stared at the woman he had been tasked to rescue, and knew without a doubt that his quest was a farce. He could not imagine this woman needing rescuing from any one or any thing.

He could also not imagine anyone more beautiful.