wrong number, mate

4

4. are you playing him, hayley?

unknown: hey it's calum. i'm sorry about the other day, i didn't mean to upset you. if you want to talk things over, maybe we could go for a coffee? my treat.

hayley: unlucky, mate. you've got the wrong number.

unknown: sorry.

"Your dog," Michael says, slightly out of breath. "He's chewing on the couch."

I look up from my phone, distracted by the message I've been sent. How did he get my number?

"What?"

"Your dog is chewing on our couch!" Michael has an annoyed look on his face. His cheeks are red and there beads of sweat on his forehead.

Luke is showing me around their new house, and while Michael offered to look after Max for a bit, the two clearly aren't along.

We get back into the living room, and Max – a usually lovely, but sometimes a little too hyper, French Bulldog – is growling at one of the pillows on the floor. There are bite marks in the old, brown leather from his couch-attack.

"Max! Stop it!"

The chubby little thing turns his head, looking in our direction. He's just like a kid getting caught doing something they shouldn't. He wanders over, dragging the pillow on the floor as it hangs from his mouth.

"He's dribbled all over it," Michael mumbles, "yuk!"

I give him an apologetic smile. "He goes a bit wild sometimes."

"He's more annoying than Luke on a sugar high!"

"Hey, I'm not really that bad!" The blond pokes his head through the doorway, frowning at Michael. "I just get hyper when I drink coffee or energy drinks."

"After half a cup of coffee you're just like that," Michael says, pointing to the hyperactive dog running laps around our feet.

"Sorry about your couch."

"It's old, anyway. I found it in a charity shop," Luke says and sits down, making himself comfortable. "Ah, I could sit in this all day."

Michael mumbles something, then speaks up, "Ashton and I moved it all by ourselves. Luke was busy eating a fucking burrito, so I had to do all the work."

"It was a great burrito," Luke adds, smiling widely. "Like what I imagine heaven would taste like."

Luke could probably talk about food all day, everyday. Unsurprisingly, he studied journalism at uni and landed a job writing food reviews before he even graduated.

Michael rolls his eyes at him. "Too bad you're going to hell, then."

"Rude."

I interrupt their bickering. "Is Calum invited to your party?"

Michael and Luke moved in together just days ago, and of course they would see this as a reason to host their first party in the new house.

"Uh," Michael looks to Luke.

"Yeah. . ." Luke says, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck.

"Would that be, like, problematic?" asks Michael.

I feel my heart twitch. "No, it'll be fine."

It won't be fine.

Apparently, the plan is to have a calm evening - just a couple of drinks with friends. But we all know that's not happening.

They might be older now, but they still party as hard. Even Ashton, and he's married. Bryana hates it.

"Sorry we didn't tell you," Luke adds.

"It's okay."

"Are you sure? I mean, you don't have to talk to him if you don't want to, but it's been a long time and maybe you could try to be friends again?"

"I almost slept with him weeks ago."

"You what?" Luke looks like someone has just told him that unicorns exist and that there are aliens walking around in his backyard. "No way."

Michael is just as confused. I don't think I've ever stunned them before. The silence lingers for a moment while they exchange glances.

"When?"

"At that festival I went to," I say, trying to shrug it off like it's nothing. "I found him in the crowd, but before anything could happen he wandered off somewhere."

Michael looks at me, still clearly stunned. "You're the girl."

"Holy shit."

"What? Has he said anything?"

"He mentioned a girl that weekend, but I would've never thought it was you."

"What do you mean? Does he hook up with girls often?"

"I mean," Michael looks to Luke, who is looking away. "Define often. . ."

The only sound is Max eating something from the floor. I pick him up, cuddling my little companion close. I need emotional support.

"Tell me."

"Well, I guess there was one but that was quite a while ago now. He's been really desperate lately."

"Mikey!" Luke's eyes go wide as he slaps Michael's upper arm.

"Desperate?" I can't hide the fact that I feel a little bit let down. Had I been naïve, thinking he actually missed me, like he'd mumbled into my ear?

"What about the Tinder guy?" Luke asks.

I look down, unable to meet his questioning eyes. "We agreed to keep things casual, and he's seeing other people anyway."

"Get rid of him," Michael says, rolling his eyes. "Open relationships are bullshit."

"They're good for people who are scared of commitment," I point out.

"Yeah, but you're just scared of committing cause you know he's not right for you."

"Stop trying to analyse me," I say, rolling my eyes. Michael is doing a psychology degree, and sometimes doesn't know when to stop reading people.

"Have you talked to Calum since?" Luke asks me. He leans forward, eyebrows raised. He loves a bit of gossip. Especially if it is about people hooking up. Also, he loves a happy ending and seems to think that some day, Calum and I will get back together.

"He texted me just now."

"Saying what?" His face lights up, and he leans forward, as if ready to hear more of the story. "Details, please."

I shake my head at his assumption that I would be giving him any juicy gossip.

"I told him he got the wrong number."

💟 💟 💟
savage hayley

what's this about a tinder guy?!

bear with me while i edit this book

love you all

~lauren